Chapter 1

If the world was a fair place, the perfect solution to Harper Mitchell's unprecedented crisis would walk through the double-glazed doors of the hip Boston watering hole she was in, wearing a nice suit and sporting an even nicer personality.

                Unlike the self-important banker currently sitting at the small wooden table opposite her who probably should have stopped drinking at least two hours ago.

                "So, sexy lady, what is this favor you need from me?"

                Harper tried not to cringe at the man's drunk state and turned to her close friend, Jessica Wyatt, with a smile that said, how could you possibly think this loser would be in any way suitable as my boyfriend this coming weekend?

                Jessica arched a brow in apology and then did what only a truly beautiful woman could do – dazzled the banker with a megawatt smile and told him to take a hike. Not literally, of course. Chances were she'd have to work with him at some time in the future.

                Harper breathed a sigh of relief as, without argument, he swaggered towards the packed, dimly lit bar and disappeared from the view.

                "Don't say it," Jessica warned. "On paper, he seemed perfect."

                "On paper, most men seem perfect," Harper said glumly. "It's only when you get to know them that the trouble starts."

                "That's morose – even for you."

                Harper's eyebrows shot up. She had a good reason to be feeling morose. She had just wasted an hour she didn't have; drinking white wine she wouldn't even cook with, and was no further towards solving her problem than she'd been yesterday. A problem that had started when she'd lied to her boss about having a boyfriend who would love to come away for a business weekend and keep a very important and very arrogant potential client in check.

                Callum Denver was overweight, overbearing, obnoxious, and had taken her 'not interested' signs as some sort of personal challenge. Apparently, he had told Frank, her boss, that he believed Harper's cool, professional image was hiding a hot-blooded woman just beginning to be set free and he was determined to her to his stable of 'fillies'.

                Harper shuddered as she recalled overhearing him use that particular phrase.

                The man was a prejudiced bore and wore an Akubra hat as if he was some sort of sheriff from the wild, wild west. But he had her rattled. And when Callum had challenged her to 'bring your hubbie' to his fiftieth birthday celebration, where she would also present her final business proposal, Harper had smiled sweetly and said that would be lovely.

                Which meant she now needed a man by tomorrow afternoon. Perharps she'd been a little hasty in giving Mr. Inebriated the flick.

                Jessica rested her chin in her hand. "There's got to be someone else."

                "Why don't I just say he's sick?"

                "Your boss is already on to you. And even if he wasn't, if your fake boyfriend has fake illness, you still have to deal with your amorous client all weekend."

                Harper pulled a face. "Don't mistake Callum's intentions as amorous. They're more licentious in nature."

                "Maybe so, but I'm sure Frank's are amorous."