Trying to Survive

Song: I am not nothing by Beth Crowley

Due to final exams I stay home tonight while my grandparents go to a special event in town. They keep asking me to go but I really need to study. Graduation is less than two weeks away and I want to get A's on my exams that way I will finish with straight A's for the whole year. This is the first year in my life that I actually make all A's.

"Okay well we should be back around ten. I fixed extras at lunch today it's all in the fridge so when you get hungry you can warm it up alright." Says Grammy as she reaches over to hug me.

"Thanks Grammy...you're always thinking of everything."

When they leave, I lock the front door behind them. I have the whole house to myself. I could have Weston come over to keep me company however he has to work till eight and I know the grandparents would not be happy if we were alone in the house. It's not that they don't trust me but you know how it is.

I get out my Spanish book and start reviewing the material. The teacher is giving us an oral part to the exam and I dread every bit of it. It's so quite in the house so I decide to turn on the TV and listen to music while I study. Chipper is on the couch with me lying down on his favorite pillow. I look over at him and start talking to him in Spanish he looks up at me tilting his head like I lost my mind. I rub his little head and laugh, "me too," I say shaking my head at him.

He gets up and jumps around running in circles and barking like crazy so I pick him up and cuddle him. "Hey there what's the matter...you okay?" He calms down some in my arms. "You getting hungry?" I ask him. I carry him to the kitchen and look in the cabinet getting out a can for him. "Guess we could both use a little bite to eat." I tell him as he licks my face and I giggle as I wipe off the wetness.

I open up the can and scoop the contents into his little bowl on the floor. Then look in the fridge for the leftovers Grammy saved for me. I place the plate in the microwave and warm it up. My phone is buzzing in the living room so I go get it. I already know who is calling me.

Weston's name displays on the screen. "Hey you just get off work?" I ask him when I answer the phone.

"Yeah fixing to be home. What are you doing?"

"Well I was studying for Spanish but Chipper says we need to eat." I laugh. "So I just stopped to fix him something. Don't worry I'm eating too." I say before he even asks if I had anything to eat. The microwave beeps so I go back into the kitchen to get it out. I happen to look over and the back door is open.

"That's strange." I say to myself but out loud.

"What's that?" he replies.

I shake my head in confusion. "Uhm...the back door is open."

"Maybe the wind blew it open."

"Weston...I don't think so. I was just in here and it was closed. Matter of fact I swear it was locked." I tell him. I know it was locked. I keep everything shut and locked around here.

"You want me to come over to check things out?" He asks me.

"No, I should be fine." I close the door and look out the window, nothing is out there. I lock it, and then go over to the microwave to pull out the plate of leftovers.

"I just got home; I can tell my grandparents that I need to go by your place....just to make sure everything is fine." This time he sounds more concerned.

"No...maybe you're right the wind is blowing pretty good it could have blown open."

I hear him greet his grandparents when he walks into his house. I pick up the plate and carry it back to the living room. However I see someone sitting in Pops chair. When he turns to look at me, the plate slips right out of my hand. The moment it hits the floor it shatters into several pieces. Food splatters everywhere.