Chapter 3: second year

A week later, it was September First, and Kings cross was jammed with hundreds of Hogwarts students trying to get on platform 9 3/4. Lily was pushing her cart with her trunk and owl, Hannah, while struggling to have her mum stop crying. 

"Mum," she sighed, exasperated. "Stop crying. I'll come home for the Christmas and Easter holidays if you want."

Her mother had stopped crying at once, "Would you, dear? Yes... I'll stop crying; you coming home will do me good..." she sniffed.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Well I have to go, I still have fifteen minutes before the train leaves."

Her dad turned to Petunia, who was, as usual sulking at a corner. "Petunia say goodbye to your sister," he said sternly.

"No." replied Petunia defiantly. "Why should I? She said she was coming home for Christmas and Easter holidays"

Before the Evans could say another word, Lily pushed her cart between Platforms 9 and 10, hearing distinct yells and noises behind her. Probably mum and dad yelling at Petunia for being so 'rude' to her sister, she thought, grinning. She ran with all her might through the barrier, until the words 'Platform 9 and three quarters' were hanging above her head.

"Lily there you are!" it was her best friend, Arabella, calling and waving to her frantically. Behind her, Jennifer and Violet, lily's two other friends, were happy to see her again.

"Hey Bella, Jen, Violet!" greeted Lily enthusiastically. "Sorry I couldn't get here earlier; Mum was crying her eyes out again. 'Fraid I have to go home over the Christmas and Easter holidays- promised Mum."

Arabella's face looked downcast, but she brightened up again. "So... will you and James get together again?"

"No." Lily sighed in resentment and impatience. Why were her friends so caught up in matchmaking them?

"Lily Flower!" She turned around to see James Potter's circle of Marauders run towards her in excitement.

"Hello Lily," greeted Remus affectionately. Lily had always liked Remus best of them all; he was always so gentle and understanding.

"Hi Remus," said Lily, smiling at the tired boy. Then she turned to Peter and Sirius. "Hey, Peter, Sirius."

They both greeted her, and Lily purposely ignored the fourth member and ringleader of them all. "Hi, Evans." It was James, and he was sporting his usual lopsided grin.

"Potter," was all Lily said. She disliked- no, hated, James Potter from the moment she met him a year ago at King's Cross. The six other friends sensed a hatred silence between them and stood awkwardly aside. Then James nudged Sirius, and the boys filed into the train and went in search of an empty compartment. The girls found an empty one just at the end of the train and collapsed into the seats tiredly.

"Petunia bore you to death, Lil?" asked Arabella yawning.

"Yep. She wouldn't say goodbye to me at the train station, so I think I heard my mum and dad yell at her when I was out of earshot." All four girls laughed. The compartment door slid open and the four Marauders came barging in.

"We need to sit here," said James shortly. "All the others are full."

"Are you sure you're just saying that, so you can sit with Lily, James?" asked Arabella sweetly. James coloured and glared at her.

"Can we?" asked Sirius hopefully. He looked mighty tired from all the searching.

"Sure, why not?" Lily scooted over a seat, as did the rest of the girls.