2

My mom prepares herself to knock on the door of my grandparent's residence.
"Mom, I'm sure they're not that bad!" I say.
"Uhm... That's what Rory said when she first had dinner with them last week!" Mom looks at my sister Rory, who is 3 years older than me, making me 13
"And I was so wrong." Rory puts a hand on my shoulder.
"Ugh, c'mon!" I knock on the door and my mom and sister gasp.
"How dare you!" My mom says with a fake dramatic tone.
"How dare my youngest offspring betray me!" She puts the back of her hand on her forehead like a damsel in distress.
"Shut the hell up Lorelai and just let the girl at least try to have a good experience." My dad rolls his eyes.
"Thank you!" I put my hands on my hips. The door opens slowly and a foreign maid opens the door, making my mother, of course, speak up.
"Hi! We're here to see Henry the Eighth and his most unpleasant wife!" She says in a mocking tone, whilst handing her coat to her.
"Lorelai, I am not one of six wives, I am the only wife." My grandmother, Emily, waltzes into the coatroom.
"Rory. Y/n. Luke." She nods at each of us, but gives my dad a weird look, making me shiver.
"Come into the living room Y/n, dear, it's not so cold." She grabs my arm before mom can get a word in and drags me away, the family following behind us.
"Richard, you remember Y/n?" She calls to my grandfather, and I stand there awkwardly.
He looks up from his newspaper and walks over, looking me up and down.
"Lorelai! Your daughter's tall. Ladies should not be tall." He looks disapprovingly at mom.
"Sorry, dad, I haven't got her into the compression machine yet." She smiles fakely, and I stifle a laugh.
"What's funny, dear?" Grandma glares daggers at me, and I shrink into my dad's side a little.
"Leave her be, Mom, it's nervous laughter." Mom lies for me and Grandma turns away. I mouth a thank you, and she takes my hand, leading me to the chairs.
"Drinks? Sodas for the girls, and Lorelai?" Grandma asks expecting a wild answer.
"Oh, the strongest you've got." She says dryly, and walks over to the drinks cart to help, I presume.
"Was it like this last week?" I whisper to Rory.
"Just you wait, we'll be out of here before the second - of many - courses." She smiles a little, and I smile back, with a tiny shard of hope that we'll be gone before then.

***

We have our drinks, and then dinner is served, the first course being some fancy prawn soup.
"Mom! Y/n doesn't want to go to Chilton yet! Please respect that and move on!" Mom says loudly.
"No, I will certainly not except that! Stars Hollow School is where children get pregnant at 16. Do you want Y/n to get pregnant at 16?" Grandma asks coldly.
"Mom its-" I say quietly and Rory kicks my leg lightly under the table and shakes her head quickly, warning me that the room will erupt if I say the wrong thing.
"At least I can give her a life! A life where she won't have to get pregnant to leave! A life where-" Grandma cuts her off.
"A life where what? You think I was so controlling? I gave you the best of everything, got you the finest schooling!..." Grandma screams at mom, and it looks like she's about to break her. My heart pounds faster than ever and my breathing quickens. Everything sounds quieter, like it's being played through a filter. My head spins and tears boil in my eyes, until I just can't take it anymore.
"Y/n?" Dad asks quietly.
"Y/n honey?" Mom gets up and begins walking down the length of the long table to get to me, fear in her eyes.
"I-I can't- I'm sorry." I get up and run from the house, forgetting my coat.

I run until I can't see the house anymore, and am in front of Chilton, Rory's high school. I shiver in the cold, and snowflakes begin to fall lightly.
"Ugh!" I yell, kicking a lap post and leaning against it, tears falling silently from my eyes.
"Here." A boy, who looks about my age, maybe 14, hands me a jacket. I look at it, and look back at him.
"No, it's fine." I reply, wiping my eyes and standing up from the post
"No, it's not." He insists, walking behind me and draping the jacket over my shoulders.
"I'm Parker, by the way." He smiles warmly. "Parker Dugray."
"Y/n Gilmore." I reply, for some reason slightly shy. I am practically the spitting image of my mother, with personality and looks, so shyness does not usually run through my veins.
"Gilmore... As in Rory Gilmore's relative?" He asks.
"Yeah, she's my sister. How do you know her?" I ask, a questioning smile on my face.
"Goes to school with my brother, he's pining after her." He rolls his eyes, and I smirk, folding my arms.
"Ah, Tristan Dugray. Interesting." I laugh to myself.
"He's a bit of a jerk, isn't he?" Parker laughs, and I smile.
"Well, maybe a little." I reply.
"So, where are you headed?" He asks.
"Away from my grandparents house, that's for sure." I lean back into the lamp post again, and he gives me a knowing look.
"Been there, mine are as bad as they come." He says, and I roll my eyes.
"Not as bad as mine - literally abominations."
He laughs a little.

Meanwhile...

"Who's that?" Lorelai stops walking and hits Luke's arm lightly to get his attention, and then points towards the boy.
"I dunno... Leave her a sec though." He looks suspiciously at Y/n and the boy, before going with Rory to sit in the car. But, of course, Lorelai has other plans. She sees her daughter wipe her eyes slightly, and thinks the boy has upset her, and she prepares to kick some ass. But then, he literally hugs her and Lorelai audibly gasps, then runs to the car.
"Go get her, now!" She says with urgency, then whipsers, "The boy just hugged her!" She waves her arms frantically, before jumping into the Jeep.

***

"Oh god... I see my mom's car. Here take this!" I take off the jacket and thrust it into his arms. "This is my cellphone number, call me and I'll tell you the rest about how the dinner went." I put a piece of paper which I had just written my number on into the jacket pocket, before my mother gets out.
"Y/n, babe, we gotta get back to the Hollow, Grandma's sending out search parties." She smiles sympathetically.
"Sorry, gotta go." I whisper to him. "Remember, you have my number - use it!"

***

I collapse onto the sofa after dad and Rory have gone to bed, burying my head into the pillow and sobbing. Mom must hear my crying from the kitchen because the sits on a cushion on the floor and strokes my hair and kisses my head until I fall asleep.