The Dan and Phil Portrait

This Page Will Contain

Drawing tips I learned, Getting this Picture Signed/Showing it to Dan and Phil, Getting Inspired, and Things I learned from this Piece/What I will Improve Upon.

Tips I Learned While Drawing This Portrait

Well drawing this I experimented with a number of blending techniques and materials such as coconut oil and let me tell you that was a big mistake! At first coconut oil seems like the perfect solution to getting your coloured pencils very smooth. It mattified my Scholar Prismacolor's waxy shine covering the piece and smoothed the colours on Phil's shirt (left character) but it was too good to be true. As soon as I went to erase a section, in one case a part of Phil's face, it took off all the layers of coloured pencil. Also, it left horrible grainy spots all over! This means you can not lighten an area with an eraser, or attempt to erase anything without leaving dark spots and removing all layers of colour.

You also can't lighten up an area with a white pencil for some reason. The coconut oil is also very hard to control. I used a brush and put some of the coconut oil on the end like you would with a solvent. Since the coconut oil melts clear it's hard to tell how much is on the brush. Applying too much spreads the pigment all over and leaves your paper wet and oily. Pushing the pigment out to the sides leaving a light spot in the middle. Not nice! If you want to try using coconut oil as a blender I recommend using a very small amount and testing it out on some scrap pieces of paper before you do anything to your beautiful artwork.

Getting My Work Signed

Contains Meet and Greet spoilers to Dan and Phil's Interactive Introverts World Tour

If you've ever made fanart before it's probably your ultimate goal to get it seen by whomever you've drawn. If not, that's in the back of your mind, admit it. So when I had the chance to meet and show my art I couldn't pass up the chance to make my best fan art. It's very terrifying to show someone art you've made of them but I guess it's worth it. When I showed dan and Phil my portrait it seemed like they loved it. They, of course, seemed to appreciate it very much and told me how amazing it was. Mentioning my skilled ''shading'' and ''realism''. Yay confidence boost!

The entire meet and greet was a fun experience I told them how I found their videos an got some cool selfies. Everyone in the room before the meet and greets were very excited too! This created this very interesting energy where everyone was super nervous, excited and about to do something they have been dreaming to do for a while. Which was evident in the way everyone started screaming when Dan and Phil walked into the room. I think it's interesting to think what it's like to be the receiver of the fan-art. Even if the art doesn't look like it was done by a professional, the receiver will love it because they can see the time and effort put into the creation. Seeing you have an impact that inspires so many people to put hours into creating art of you automatically makes you love it. So if you ever have the chance to show your favourite person art you've made of them, don't pass it up because you are scared they won't like it or it won't be good enough.