Protect

"Keith this is suicide!" Pidge.

"Don't do this!" Allura.

"There's a better way!" Lance.

"We can do this together!" Hunk.

Their pleas fell on deaf ears.

That was Shiro in there.

The ship's shields were impenetrable, even Voltron couldn't get in - not with their weapons at least.

Last time Keith had done this suicide run at a ship's shield he had been doing it for the good of the galaxy, not really caring what happened after his death - not even truly caring that he was sacrificing himself.

This time Shiro was on that ship. If he pulled back there was no telling if Shiro would live long enough for him and the others to come up with a rescue plan.

He knew that the Red Lion would survive, maybe need repairs but she'd survive. He wouldn't but Shiro would live.

That was all Keith cared about, was protecting Shiro.

"Keith please!" Allura was desperate but it still didn't register in Keith's mind.

The Red Paladin's eyes burned with tears he refused to let fall. His impact would be in less than ten seconds.

He flicked on a video camera, Shiro would know how to activate it - either that or Red would only show the Black Paladin.

"Hey Shiro, it's me. I don't want you to mourn over my death, okay? I'm not worth it. This was how I wanted to go down, fighting. I don't have long. I love you. I love you so much." Keith gave his best smile before flicking it off, squeezing his eyes as he slammed into the shield, pain radiating through his body.

---------------

Shiro looked up as the Black Lion's screen flickered to life.

It was a week ago that Keith saved him. A week since Keith's death and it felt like years.

It was nearly midnight but Shiro hadn't been able to sleep, coming to sit in Black for comfort.

the Red Lion had vanished, untraceable, though Allura said that it was still somewhere in the universe, the other Lions would react more if Red had been destroyed.

An image flickered onto the screen, a video.

Keith was sitting in Red's pilot seat, tears gleaming in his eyes.

"Hey Shiro, it's me. I don't want you to mourn over my death, okay? I'm not worth it. This was how I wanted to go down, fighting. I don't have long. I love you. I love you so much." A small smile pulled up on Keith's lips and Shiro's own eyes filled with tears as he watched it disappear, knowing what had happened only moments after that.

"I'm sorry Keith, I couldn't protect you."