Didn't expect that

It was a pretty nice day.  The sun was out, warming the air whilst the steady spring breeze fought to cool it.  People walked in and out of building and across suspended walkways, shopping, talking, and doing all the other things people typically do on a calm day such as this one.  The taxi provided a nice view of it all, floating smoothly and quietly, cutting through the air as it followed its set route.  The only stimuli was the dull hum and slight vibration of the vehicle, a sensation that managed to have a calming affect on everyone inside.  Coupled with the warm temperature, it was far too easy to fall asleep...

"What's wrong with your teeth?"  A high pitched, squawking voice startled Nix out of what likely would've been slumber.  He twitched and swiveled his head around toward the source of the voice; Idd, the gremunk sitting cross-legged to his left. Odd was on the other side of Idd, as asleep as ever.  Idd was looking expectantly at Nix, who stared blankly back, still processing the question.

"What?" he asked.  Idd pointed at his face.

"Your teeth," he repeated.  "What's wrong with them?"  Nix blinked as his tired mind came up to speed, then scowled.

"There's nothing wrong with them," he snapped back defensively.  Sure, they were different.  Naturally, gremunculi had teeth that were symmetrical, larger and flatter with a dull point.  In contrast, his were far more needle-like, with multiple rows on both the top and bottom jaws, many sticking out at odd angles.  He hadn't thought that Idd would take notice, though.  Or, at the very least, he hadn't thought that the Idd would say anything either way.  They didn't look that weird, did they?  Nix internally chastised himself for feeling even slightly self-conscious.

"Why do they look so weird?" Idd questioned further.

"They aren't weird!"  Idd jumped and moved back a little, surprised by the flare of emotion being displayed so suddenly.  Nix brought his voice back down to a calmer level.  "Scientists thought it'd be a fun project to make me look like a fucking freak."  Resentment was evident in his voice.  He crossed his arms and looked forward with a sense of finality.  Even so, he could see out of the corner of his eye Idd continuing to study him.  The tension was significantly higher than it had been just a few minutes ago, not that Idd seem to notice.  Or maybe he did notice, he just kept pushing the subject anyway.  Both were believable explanations.

"They don't make you look like a freak." Idd blurted out, snapping the tense silence in half.  "I mean, I've seen worse than that."

Of course you have.  I have.  That's not the damn point.  Nix thought.  He looked back over, skepticism written all over his face.  "Well, how would you describe it, then?"  He retorted, irritated.  Idd considered this for a moment.

"Cool, I guess," he said finally.  "You look like a tough predator."  More thought.  "A shark!  That's what I was thinking of!  You can't ask for much better than a shark."  He grinned widely, awaiting a reaction.

Nix, meanwhile, looked at Idd as if the string-bean had just said everything in fluent German, his expression as blank as it had been when he had been woken up.  How, exactly, was he supposed to react to that?  It wasn't sarcastic, backhanded, even exaggerated.  It was genuine.  A genuine compliment on something he had never considered as anything other than a deformity.  Insults he could handle just fine; they were predictable and easily shot down, more often than not.  But compliments?  He didn't get compliments.  From anyone.  People spent more time trying to avoid him, avoid his gaze and his bullets.  He was the person who everyone hoped they never had to deal with.

Almost everyone.

Needless to say, most things said about him weren't particularly kind, at least not on purpose.  And he was fine with that.  That was what he had grown to expect from people, and that was what he got.  He never asked for anything more, so he never received anything more.

Is this what more feels like?

More felt awkward.  Nix turned away, trying his best to focus on the cityscape outside the window.

"Thanks," he mumbled.  Idd didn't say anything.  He looked proud of himself, though.  Of course he did, the brash little gremlin.  Seemingly satisfied with the conclusion of things, he leaned over Odd to look out the other window.  Nix almost found himself smiling at the turn of events.  Almost.  Maybe just a little.

Awkward, but unexpectedly appreciated.