8

After breakfast, Lucas and Jason headed to their soccer practice and Addy and I decided to go meander around town, which usually ended up with us shopping. We had barely waved goodbye to the boys when Addy grabbed me by the shoulders and spun me around to face her, her smile stretched so wide I thought her face would rip. "Leila, you will never believe what happened last night!" she exclaimed.

I was pretty sure I already knew, but I still asked her what happened.

"Brad and I hooked up!" she squealed.

"And by hooked up you mean...?"

"Like, we had sex. And it was the best thing ever. He's amazing in bed, like, holy shit. I've never been with someone who knows how to get a girl off like he did. I think I had some sort of sexual awakening last night."

I laughed at her excitement. "Well, I'm really happy that you had a great night, but I have to say that I don't like him, Addy. So if it's just sex, go for it. But if you're actually wanting more..."

"I mean, I'd definitely take more if he offered it to me. But I'm okay with it being just sex, too."

"Just don't do anything you don't want to do, okay? And be careful, because I think Jason and Lucas were right about him being an ass."

Addy rolled her eyes at me. "Do you have to kill my vibe?"

"I'm trying to watch out for you, okay? I... I heard he was hitting on other girls yesterday."

"We were together for the entire party, Lei. He only left for like fifteen minutes for his stupid soccer initiation thing and that's it. And he told me he couldn't keep his eyes off me all night and that no other girls there held a candle to me."

My blood boiled as I thought of Brad. What a lying piece of scum. But Addy seemed so happy about it. This was the confidence boost she needed. Did I really have to tell her what he said to me? I'd rejected his advances and that was that. Maybe now his full attention was back on Addy like he said. If he tried anything again I would tell her, I reasoned with myself. "Of course he said that," I said. "You looked so beautiful. We talked a bit yesterday and he told me he thinks you're super hot and smart and funny," I said, which was the truth.

"Oh my god, I can't believe he told you that! I hope he asks me out!"

"I'm sure he will," I said, and I really hoped he did.

"You know, I've just been having casual sex for so long and I thought that's what I wanted, but with Brad I feel like I finally could want more."

"But you'll be careful, right, Addy?" I said. "Not just being safe, but like with your expectations of him? Because history shows he's not really the boyfriend type."

"I know, I know. I will, I promise. But right now I want to go buy some new lingerie, so let's go."

We spent the next few hours shopping from one store to the next. Addy did buy a lot of lingerie and I wondered why she would even need that much. How much sex were they going to have? Did she have to wear new things every time? Wasn't she going to just end up taking it off anyway?

I'd never had sex, so the whole concept seemed weirdly foreign to me. I couldn't imagine how it would play out in real life, though I wish I did know. My virginity was still intact as more of a habit than anything else. When I first entered highschool, my mom made me promise to be careful with boys. She told me that she was lucky enough to have her first time be with someone she loved very much, who I assumed was my dad, and that she wanted that for me too. And ever since then, I'd never let any random party makeouts get that far, tempting as it was.