Chapter One

The nights outside the Lake residence was peaceful and calm.

Down in the basement...not quite so much. At least for one Jim Lake, aka the Trollhunter. The teen, who had faced down violent monsters bent on his demise on a regular basis, was about to do something that made him a thousand times more nervous:

He was about to go upstairs, confront his mother, and tell her everything about his being the Trollhunter.

"I don't think I've seen you this nervous since your first attempt in the Heroes' Forge," commented Blinky, watching as Jim paced back and forth.

"Worse," Aaarrrggghh commented.

"I have never met her, but I have heard some of your arguments," Draal put in from where he was nonchalantly munching on some half-lit coals from the furnace. "She seems formidable, but not terrifying."

"You're not her son." Jim sighed.

"I have spoken with her extensively while I was temporarily turned into a human," countered Blinky, catching the youth on the shoulder as he passed by. "I thought she was a lovely, caring woman, if concerned about you a good deal. Will this not help matters?"

"Yeah ...no...I don't know." Jim ran his hand thought his hair. "It'll at least explain where I keep going and all, but she's my mom! She'll just as likely forbid me being the Trollhunter because I could get hurt!"

"Not option."

"You're telling me, Aaarrrggghh." Again Jim sighed, causing Blinky to huff in exasperation and gently but firmly pull on Jim's arm until the teen moved over to a box, then pushed him to sit down.

"Getting yourself worked up about this will not help you at all, Master Jim. You will need a clear head before you face her with what understandably will be a difficult truth to accept, even for all the evidence available."

"But -"

"No buts. Worrying about what may be cannot help you with what is at the present. Now take a few deep breaths, settle down, and hope for the best." Jim did take a breath, then asked,

"What would count as 'the best?'" Blinky smiled, right upper hand rubbing his cheek.

"I think I'd settle for her not kicking me this meeting."

"Or spraying me in the face with that pepper stuff," added in Draal. That got a laugh from Jim, just in time for them all to hear the front door open and Jim's mom to call out for him.

"Well," Jim said as he stood, "I guess that's my cue."

"Good luck," rumbled Aaarrrggghh as Jim stated climbing the stairs. The Trollhunter gave his Troll friends a smile, then headed on up.