Chapter 4

Soon the entire group was assembled in the backyard under the starry night sky. Jim stood facing Draal, both with their swords in hand. Blinky, Aaarrrggghh, and Barbara were safely by the back door where they wouldn't be in the way. Barbara was tense again as she saw her only offspring standing opposite the huge, stone-skinned warrior and how deadly the moonlight gleamed off their respective blades.

"Do not worry," Blinky reassured softly. "This is sparring. Draal's purpose is to instruct, to teach Jim to improve even beyond what he already has, not to harm. Though they will strike as if their lives depended on winning, neither will seek to grievously wound the other."

"That's not a lot of comfort," was the pained reply.

Jim nor Draal seemed to hear her words as they watched one another, waiting for one to make the first move. Jim saw Draal's mouth quirk slightly in a smirk, and he knew some verbal taunting was incoming. He wasn't disappointed.

"Hesitating, Trollhunter?" Draal carefully began stepping to the side, so naturally Jim imitated his movements so they circled one another. "Worried about how you'll perform with your mother observing?"

"Not in the slighest." Jim could feel his own confident grin. Granted, his mother watching him spar was an oddity, but at the same time there was a thrill to having Daylight in his hands and the knowledge that in a few heartbeats he would be in battle once again.

The additional knowledge that his death wasn't a likely outcome was a bonus.

They made this slow, circling pass once, then again. Each was watching the other for signs on the moment they intended to strike. The tell could come from anywhere. A glance in the eyes, a sudden tenseness in the arms, bracing one foot against the ground - anything could reveal that singular moment that could also easily spell the end of a fight a moment later. Eyes narrowed, and in almost perfect tandem the pair lunged, and the Troll's sword rang against the edge of Daylight.

Over in safety, Barbara gasped, eyes widening as without further preamble Draal and Jim began sparring in earnest. Their swings came within inches of landing against the other, as at times it looked like Jim would have lost a limb were it not for a last-second parry. Both their expressions revealed intense focus on every nuance of their match; it was clear neither remembered where they were art this point. They only knew the battle..

"This doesn't seem exactly safe or friendly," Barbara fretted.

"Safe?" echoed Blinky. "No. In sparring there is always a chance of an accidental injury. But it would be accidental. And as for friendly, Draal and Jim have a great respect for one another. In a way, these matches affirm their friendship." Blinky chuckled. "Not that I would care to say that too loudly; Draal would deny it until the end of time." Aaarrrggghh softly chuckled, and Barbara couldn't help but smile.

"He didn't strike me as a demonstrative sort - oh!" Her cry came as Draal bashed Daylight wide, using his greater strength again his human opponent then simply grabbing Jim by the front of his armor and flinging him across the back lawn. Jim grunted as he hit the ground and rolled several times, and the big Troll followed. She started to move to intervene, but Aaarrrggghh put a hand on her shoulder, restraining her.

"No. Stay here. Safe. Jim fine."

"I agree. Master Jim is in no danger, and in fact taking any action on his behalf would either stop their match or cause either them or you unintentional harm." Barbara looked between the two Trolls, then back at Jim, who was still laying on the ground.

"He - he's not getting up!"

"Be patient, please. I have personally seen Master Jim take far worse blows and roll right back up again. See his hand, flat on the ground? I would wager that he is using Draal's approach to catch his breath, and his hand to feel it through the ground. Knowing when to strike is just as important as knowing how or where to strike."