Chapter Thirteen (Ending)

What the toms saw was horrific.

Hopestar convulsed her hind legs, trying her front legs to unhook the rusted fangs from around her neck.

She was caught in a fox trap!

"Oh, my!" The deputy screeched, helping to unhook the trap, then signaling with his tail for the apprentices to sit.

Icepaw's eyes widened, looking terrified. "W-will she be okay?"

Badgertail turned his head to give an unsteady glance, turning back to remove the trap.

After what seemed like uncomfortable, painful minutes, the trap's clamped grasp against Hopestar was loosened, making the trap fall to the ground with a thump.

The leader swiftly got up, but her legs shivered and she fell. "Try not to move, we'll bring you back to camp."

As Badgertail uncomfortably slipped Hopestar onto his back, he could feel blood oozing slowly near his ear from her neck. He held back a wail as Icepaw and Foxpaw followed him to camp.

****************************************************************

Horrified glances bestowed upon the clan as Badgertail entered, trotting slowly from the weight of his leader. He placed her down near the pond from High Ledge, his eyes gleaming with worry as the other cats joined him.

Hopestar weakly opened an eye, looking unsteady. "C-can I see the kits?.... Er-r... Harekit, Snowkit, and Silverkit..."

Snowwhisper's eyes clouded with confusion and sadness as she herded her kits towards their weak leader, whom tilted their heads.

"O-oh my precious kits... You've grown so much from the last I saw you with Appleflame. I can't believe he left you in that snowstorm to die..."

Badgertail dipped his head as if he knew the secret the whole time, soon lifting it to glance at his clanmates.

Shocked gasps filled the Clan as Harekit stepped forwards a bit. "Appleflame didn't leave us to die. The Clan was under attack from EmberClan, and he had to hide us from danger."

Hopestar's ears seemed to flatten completely against her skull as she wrapped her silver tail around the three kits, her weak blue eyes gleaming.

"I'm sorry... But you must understand you have a great destiny ahead of you, Harepaw, Snowpaw, and Silverpaw."

The kits exchanged glances, as they were only four moons, but nodded.

"And for you," Hopestar shifted her gaze slowly over to Badgertail.

"L-Lead this Clan to be the best it can be. We're all counting on you, Badgerstar."

"Wait! Don't go yet!" Badgertail wailed like a newborn kit, standing over his leader. "What about Harekit, Snowkit, and Silverkit?"

The she cat's head lifted weakly to meet Badgertail's gaze.

"You and Snowwhisper can raise them, and you will train Icepaw."

"Don't go..." Badgertail mewed, rubbing his head against Hopestar's.

"I-I will watch you i-in StarClan..." The she cat's voice was cut off as her eyes closed slowly, her head falling to the ground, and her body becoming limp.

Badgertail's eyes teared up a bit as he looked at his Clanmates. No, this was no time for tears. He was Badgerstar now, and will lead WaterClan the best he can for Hopestar.