Chapter Two

Percy's POV

"I'm sending you to New York," were the first words Chiron told me after he sat me down in the Big House.

I was very confused. "You mean, as a quest?" It was the only reason I could think of, seeing as you were only summoned in the big house for important reasons. I let out a deep breath. While my head told me that I've had enough of quests, my heart knew that I wouldn't be able to turn the quest down. I would do anything for the good of the camp and the world. Even if it means nearly getting killed again.

Chiron seemed to evaluate me for a minute before continuing. "No, Percy," he said with a small chuckle, "You're going on a vacation."

My face took on a look of complete shock. "A vacation? But demigods never get breaks, let alone vacations." Even though I knew Chiron rarely ever lied, he had to be joking.

"I'm telling you the truth. I have no reason to jest about this matter. The gods have granted you one month of solitude from all things Greek or Roman mythology related." When Chiron saw my still skeptical face, he let out a sigh and held out a key in the palm of his hand.

"What's this for?" I asked him. The key seemed pretty normal. It was just a regular apartment key, nothing special.

"This is the key to the room you will be staying in for the next month if you accept this proposal."

"So I won't be staying with my mom and Paul?" What's the point of going to New York if I couldn't stay with my family? Was the room a safe house?

"No, you will not be staying with them. We have specifically picked this room for one reason. This you will find out if you accept and go to the room that this key opens." Chiron was still holding the key towards me, as if he were telling me that it was a good idea to accept the key.

My hand reached forward hesitantly until I was barely inches away from touching the key. Closing my eyes and taking in another deep breath, I swiped the key out of Chiron's hand. There was no backing out of this now.

***

I stood in front of an apartment building, still hesitant about whether or not I should walk in. After all, this could be a Lotus Hotel and I would be trapped in here until my one month was up, which probably would feel like only a few days for me. Well, here I go, I thought as I walked in the building.

As soon as I took my first step in, a gruff voice yelled at me. "Hey! What do you think you're doing here?!"

It was an old guy with a receding hairline and a pissed off expression that yelled at me. I internally cringed where I stood. While I have now accepted the idea that I was going to get a break from all things Greek and Roman related, nasty mortals were still a pretty big issue. But, just like I handled Nancy Bobofit in sixth grade, I could handle this guy. Besides, I was the renowned hero of Olympus. This guy was nothing next to the crazy gods and goddess' I had to deal with.

With some confidence in my step, I walked up to the front desk and held up the key. "I was given this key. Do you know what room it unlocks?"

The old man narrowed his eyes at me and accessed me under a harsh glare. His response was an annoyed scowl and a shift in his seat. He probably saw me as a huge troublemaker and a bad kid, which was what most people saw at first glance and, honestly, I couldn't blame them. I was definitely a piece of work, but, as Annabeth likes to say, I was her piece of work.

"Probably another one of Margaret's charity cases," the man mumbled under his breath.

"Excuse me?" I asked, knowing perfectly well that I heard him.