Chapter 1

As the sound of her heels echoed through the painfully idle hospital, Vera's mind could only register one thought; keep moving. Her body drifted towards the door that displayed the same numbers written on the back of her hand. As that hand reached for the handle, Vera paused. Her hand simply hovered above the chill metal as she stared in a dazed manner. Her eyes were trained on the numbers "634" that were engraved on a plate next to the door. For a moment she forgot why she was standing outside of this room. Then she looked down at her- still hovering- hand to see the same numbers written in a sharp red on her skin. Her shocked mind finally registered the connection and her heart thrummed painfully in her chest.

Vera took in a breath only to realise there was sweat beading on her forehead. Worried, she quickly wiped it away before looking down at herself. She studied her appearance, tracing her fingers along the hem-line of her dress. She wondered if he would like the choice, he was never a fan of bright colors so she chose a deep purple to compliment the caramel tone of her skin.

Her eyes scanned the halls for signs of a restroom to double-check her makeup . She regretted not sparing a glance in her rear view mirror when she arrived ten minutes earlier. Her hair fell forward as she cast a glance down to her shoes and hoped be wouldn't think they were too loud for this setting.

Then she finally peered through the slip of a window on the door. She saw him laying there, hooked up to a heart monitor, with his head wrapped and his arm in a sling. Her eyes began to water but she knew she couldn't afford to cry. So Vera held in a breath, blinked back her tears, then turned the handle.