Ch.1

y/n's pov

"y/n!!!!" shouted my mother.

crap, she's probably going to bring up the fact i got detention at school.

i mean it's a little ridiculous that i got in trouble for studying in the janitor's closet during lunch. i had a really important mythology test that day!!

i ran down the seemingly endless white stair case to my mother.

"yes mother?"

"detention?!? are you joking y/n?!?"

"mom, i was just studying! isn't it a little ridiculous that i get in trouble for something like that

"it doesn't matter what you think!! rule #45 in the luminarius secondary learning facility states-"

""all students are required to be present in the cafeteria at assigned times until their next class" i know mother."

"yet you still went against it. why can't you be more like-"

"why can't i be more like alex? maybe because i'm y/n?"

i hated when she compared me to my brother.

just because he has accomplished much in his 24 years of existance, she expects the same from me. everyone expects the same from me. the same is expected from everyone.

here in luminarius, we follow the rules. we're a strict, conservative but well-educated society.

but i've recently been longing for something new; for something to change.

but that's the way it's been since the beginning of time. it's what sets us apart from our rival civilization, demetria.

what happened between our two societies? not even the lord knows. all we know is that we're not supposed to like them. basically the first thing you learn right as you are popped out.

"don't sass me miss. now i don't want hear anymore from you until you ace one of your upcoming exams. don't even come out of your room until that happens. you know what? im taking your phone as well!"

"mom, aren you being a little-"

she then slapped me across my face.

"stop disappointing me y/n," she said finally as she walked into the kitchen area

tears began to swell up in my eyes. why am i never good enough? why....why?

i grabbed the door handle and ran outside.

my feet were bare and i could feel the sharp grass cutting my flesh. i really couldn't care less at this time

i just needed to get out of luminarius...