The Witches' Sleep - Excerpt

Praise for THE WITCHES' SLEEP:

★★★★ - "I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! I was hanging on Every. Single. Word. The story line is unique and captivating. In my opinion it ranks very closely with The Hunger Games trilogy. It's well written and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi or similar novels!"

★★★★ - "The author did an outstanding job with the character development, which added the spark to this book, well, through my eyes anyway. I was able to relate and truly feel what the characters where feeling. The plot structure of the book was well oriented. I was able to follow will little to no confusion as to what was going on throughout the story, which is good. Well written, highly imaginative, very creative, and well constructed."

★★★★★ - "When I read a book I want the book to inspire me; to somehow call me to be a better person. At the same time I want the book to be intriguing. I was able to find both in The Witches' Sleep."

★★★★★ - "I am so impressed that a 17 year old has such a vivid imagination. I just started reading it and it already has me hooked."

★★★★★ - "[Kaitlyn] has a very creative mind and has written a great story. I can't wait to read the next book!"

Prologue

December 11, 2011

Ella’s life hasn’t been so bad. She can’t complain. Others have had it worse than her. But she didn’t know that her life would end so soon. Why would anyone want her dead? 

He has been hunting her for weeks now and has tried killing her in subtle ways many times. The car wreck on the loop, the carbon monoxide leak at her house and the cut brakes on her car. They were all his attempts to murder the seventeen-year-old. 

Ella’s head is spinning as she begins to put the pieces together. She thought she was going crazy, thinking someone was trying to kill her.

She’s not as crazy as she thought.

Sad thing is, she doesn’t know what she’s done in her life for him to think she deserves to die. In fact, Ella doesn’t even know who he is. She doesn’t have any enemies. And very few people don’t like her.

What did she do? 

All those death sentences she had barely escaped, but this one she can’t. This time the Assassin is making sure she’ll die. He plans on shooting her. It’s not the way he was told to kill them, but the “accidental death” doesn’t seem to be working. 

Might as well, he thinks. Besides, I like the fear in their eyes. For once, I’m superior. 

Ella runs through the bare, snow-covered trees and brush near her home in Logan, Utah. Her lungs are begging for more oxygen. It doesn’t make it easier to breathe in this cold weather. 

Ella had simply gone for a walk through the forest to admire nature when he approached her wearing a ski mask to hide his features. He doesn’t want her to be able to put the pieces together after she’s gone. But still, Ella could tell that he has a long, thin nose and black, beady eyes. He’s slim built as well, she notes.

“Ella,” he said her name as if he’d known her for years. 

Her heart hammered painful beasts against her ribs. 

He continued, “With you out of the way, I can finally continue with my business.”

Ella wanted to turn and run the moment she realized his intention was to end her life. This was her hunter, the man that wanted her dead, a man she had hoped she would never meet.