Free

17. Ivar Free

The pain was almost unbearable but I couldn't let Skylar see that. I struggled to keep a straight face and to not wince at any type of movement. I felt like the wind itself could blow me over. But honestly, I did like it when she tended to me. all night last night she would rub the pain out of my shoulder. She would heat water and soak a cloth in it and hold it again my neck and back – she was amazing.

"You wanted to go home today, are you still up to it?" Skylar asked brushing her hair in front of the window. She was absolutely beautiful, my favorite thing was to watch her when she didn't know. That's when she was the most beautiful because she wasn't trying to be beautiful. The way her eyebrows furrowed when she was confused, the way she had a dimple when she smiled to herself... the way the sun caught her eyes when she looked up, or when her hair got in her face and anger flashed across her face for just a moment.

"Of course. I want you all to myself, we have some talking to do." I said putting on my irons. My whole body was screaming and my vision got fuzzy I had to sit back up and take deep breaths.

Just then floki came in, that wicked smile on his face.

"I know you want to walk home, I'm sure you're just rearing to go... but who would I be if I didn't carry you on my back one last time?" He giggled.

Thank the gods.

"floki really..." I acted like I didn't want him to, but I think he saw right through that.

"Skylar I'm gonna go ahead and take him up, why don't you pack up any food you'll need... then meet us up there... let us have our own chat on the way up."

"Of course." She nodded.

He was quiet at first, which I was thankful for. But then as soon as we were off of the main path I couldn't get him to shut up.

"hún starfar ekki eins og þræll." (She does not act like a slave.)

"hún er ekki þræll."(She is not a slave.) I said matter of factly.

"Ivar, Þú getur ekki haldið áfram að segja að hún er þræll bara til að halda henni í kring. annaðhvort segja henni hvernig þér finnst og takast á við afleiðingar eða meðhöndla hana eins og þrællinn sem þú keyptir hana til að vera." (you cannot keep saying she's a slave just to keep her around. either tell her how you feel and deal with the consequences or treat her like the slave you bought her to be.)

He was right. I knew that. I don't know why I was putting it off. I've claimed her as mine and she hasn't protested. Everyone already writes her off as mine, I just need to make it official. I want her approval, something I wasn't really considering before.

"Ivar... we're here. How do you feel?"

"I'm okay. Thank you for doing this, I wouldn't've made the walk... but I couldn't stand to be around Sigurd anymore." I laughed.

"No one usually can." He joked.

"What do you think Floki, about Skylar?"

"I think she's good for you. I've seen her put you in your place a time or two." He smiled starting to walk down the path. "She makes you happy, something I didn't know was possible."

I nodded, understanding. I was lost there for a while, I wasn't exactly suicidal but I never really cared if I died... and that moment that I went down – the only thing I could do was beg the Gods to let me come back home to her.

I took my shirt off, it pulled and tugged at my bandages which had been making the pain worse. It wasn't much longer and I saw Skylar walking up the hill with a basket, she looked lost in thought.

I had left the door open so she walked right in, her smile bright as she saw me. it was like she thought I was a ghost, she had to come up to me and touch me to make sure I was real.

Standing straight I was a lot taller than her, she was very short standing just under my breast ... with being weak and beaten down I slumped, she came to just under my chin.

"Helga sent food for the next few days." She said putting the basket on the table. "Sure is quiet in here after being in that longhouse."

"you would rather be here?" I asked taking a seat in the chair.

"Wherever you are..." She admitted.

"Floki brought up a good point earlier... everyone seems to think you're a slave, when I don't think I've ever really thought of you as such.."

I weighed my words, speaking slowly to make sure I was saying the correct things. I took a break, catching her eye before continuing. She looked terrified, like I was going to kill her right here. Was she afraid of me now that I had gone into battle? Did she think I was weak now that I was wounded and fighting off the Valkyries trying to take me up to Valhalla?

"You're not a slave. You're free." I said quickly. I almost expected her to run towards the door, but she didn't. she stood still infront of me.

She smelled like lavender, my new favorite smell. I couldn't place the smell while I was away and why I loved it so much... now I realized it was because she smells of lavender.

This is why she's dangerous, she's got my head spinning. Focus, Ivar. Breathe.

The soft skin on her shoulder was showing, her dress was a bit too big on her and was falling off of her shoulder. I reached forward and pulled it up, letting my fingers rub against her skin for a second. I'm still not thinking correctly.

"so.. what do I do now?" She asked. "I do not want to leave, Ivar."

"I don't want you to leave either." I said looking into her eyes, they were a light blue like water today – like she could cry at any second and flood the entire room.

She got on her tippy toes and wrapped her arms around my neck, I stood as still as I could not really sure what I was supposed to do.

"so you won't leave me then?" I asked into her ear, curling my hand into her hair pulling her closer.

"Never." She smiled. "I'm glad to not be a slave anymore, does that mean I can go with you when you leave?"

"you were always welcome, I just didn't think you'd ever want to go. I still don't think we've decided exactly what we're doing here... what we are..."

"I don't care what we're doing as long as we're together." She smiled. "but you will teach me your language."

"Already barking orders at me.... and we aren't even married." I laughed. "Yet."

"Yet?" She smiled.

"Oh one day I'll let you marry me." I smiled kissing her cheek.