Daylight Savings

You leaned back in the booth at House of Pies with your mouth agape. "What do you mean you've never looked at the date? How do you avoid looking at the date for seventeen years?" you squawked, eyeing Ella incredulously.

She shrugged and bit into a fry. "I just have. If I look, I'm just going to obsess over it. I think I saw an '18' in there somewhere when I was in the shower once, but honestly, shouldn't I know it's the one anyway? Why do I need a date to tell me?" she argued nonchalantly. You were completely gobsmacked.

"What if you already have met them?! And you don't know that they're the one! Because you haven't checked your wrist!" you pushed, flustered.

"(Y/N), baby, you're all upset, and I'm not sure why. I think I would know if I had met them. I haven't considered taking a bullet for anyone, and isn't that what soulmates are all about or something?" Ella smirked, clearly enjoying your frustration.

You simply could not believe what you were hearing. You had obsessed over November 6th since your mother explained what the date meant, and Ella couldn't care less.

You sputtered, "I'm just saying-"

"(Y/N), it's okay. Anyway, when's yours since you're so worried about it?" she grinned softly.

You glanced at your inked wrist and frowned bitterly. "Not for another four years, so I've got time." you pouted.

"Well, then you have another four years of fun! Go kiss boys and not care, it's not like it matters anyway if you'll have a soulmate at some point," she cheered, sipping on her chocolate shake.

You shook your head and grabbed your burger. You had no interest in hookups or kissing boys that weren't the one, there was just no point; they could never make you as happy as he would. What's the rush in growing up? After November 6th, 2022, you have all the time in the world to learn about life and sex and whatever else with him. "Nah, don't want 'em. It's pointless."

Ella grumbled and checked her phone. "I think it's silly, waiting for the one. I mean, you might as well get experience to impress the kid."

"Well, I think he should be impressed with whatever I have to offer." you grinned. "Haven't you heard? I'm a catch," you drawled sarcastically.

All tension broke and the two of you giggled and began gossiping about the upcoming hockey game against your rivals.

-

"Hey, did you get chem done?" you yawned, opening your phone. It was already 1:45 in the morning, but Ella had insisted on getting a milkshake, swearing it was life or death.

Ella nodded in your periphery. "Yeah, you can copy it if you want. It's just like, electron configurations with the Ss, and the Ps, and whatever. Which reminds me, did you get Algebra done? I don't think-"

You waited a few seconds for her to continue until you realized she was completely frozen. You glanced up at her from your phone to see her slackened jaw, wide eyes, and blushing cheeks. "What's gotten into you?" you snorted, poking her arm.

"Do you see that guy?" she whispered, hardly moving her lips. She looked like a deer in the headlights.

You twisted in the booth to look at the entrance where the visiting hockey team huddled, boisterous and uncaring of who they annoyed. "Uh, which one El, there's like twenty of them," you chuckled. "Oh my god, are you talking about the one with the really nice eyebrows? Red backpack?" you squawked, your eyes bulging out of your head. Sadly, your day wasn't anytime close, so he wasn't the one, but oh how you wished he was. His hair was swept back by a beanie, a plain tee clinging to his body beneath a green flannel, and as simple as it was, it took your breath away. He tipped his head back with laughter, his jaw jutting out with definition, his throat bobbing.