Everything in between

The rich baritone of a mans laugh reaches my ears and I turn to see the love of my life. His black eyes are filled with love as well as desire as he encircles my waist with his strong arms to pull me against him. I unconsciously stretch my hands up to run them through his unruly white blond hair while he presses his large, calloused palm against my stomach, already well rounded with our child.

As we stand locked in our embrace, I look back upon the multitude of things that have brought us together. From our first fated but not so fortuitous meeting in what had once been my local library to our wedding day and everything in between.

Perhaps you could say that it all started with with a book, perhaps not. Either way I had been reading up on Greek poetry for a presentation on Hades and Persephone, my topic of choice and I had been looking for a book to cross-reference the information that I had already gathered. I was back amongst the dusty old tomes where even frequent library users such as myself seldom tread. I had discovered a decent volume  that suited my needs and placed my favourite bookmark at the start of the chapter that I was using when I heard a peculiar rustling, unlike that of paper on paper as one usually hears within the confines of a library. I followed the sound until I rounded a shelf filled with books, each thicker than an encyclopedia when I saw him. He had his head buried between a girls brazenly bared breasts. The shock caused my arms to go limp and my book to hit the ground with a resounding thud.

At the sound of my book hitting the floor she started to try and push him away from her cleavage and he allows her to. Before I fled as fast as my feet would carry me I caught a glimpse of him as he turned to face me but by the time I had processed anything I was already far away from scene. After cognitively going over my brief glance at him I realized that my favourite bookmark was still in the book. My favourite bookmark which I had once made a point to write my name and address on.

My memory montage flicks forward to nearly a year after that fated meeting, to the day of our wedding. I remember the two months it took to find my wedding dress. It was a lovely confection of ivory silk, gossamer lace and intricate pearl beading. I remember the two hours that it took to have my hair and make-up done. Even clearer than that I remember the two minutes that it took me to walk down the trail that had been cleared on our secluded little beach as he waited for me at the end. But my clearest recollections of that time were the looks of love that we shared as we shared our vows and slipped our rings on each others fingers...

I'm startled out of my reverie as our baby starts to kick. He pulls me even closer and places a gentle kiss on my forehead. Closing my eyes, I lean farther into his embrace, happy to remain like this for the rest of forever. Sighing contentedly, I realize that I really don't mind being in the arms of a demon.