Sneak Peek- Year 14

Sneak Peek -Year 14

"Who gets kicked out of summer school?" Jason asked as he navigated the car out of the school's parking lot. "How does that even make sense?"

"That's the same thing I'm asking." Liam chimed in as he glared at his best friend and partner in crime.

"You don't even start Liam, you're just as bad." Jason retorted, then glanced at Timmy in the rearview. "Your father can handle this. I don't even think I can wrap my head around this one."

That got Timmy's attention. "Please tell me you didn't tell dad." he pleaded.

"I didn't have to tell him, he's the one who got the call."

Liam chuckled. "You're so dead."

"Shut up Liam."

"Put on your seatbelt Timmy." Jason said.

"Why? Your shop's just down the road." He mumbled, but when Jason shot him a look in the mirror, he pulled the belt securely over his chest and fastened it.

"We're not going to the shop. Michael told me to take you in."

Timmy accidentally swallowed his gum. "But—But he said he won't be back from his conference until next week."

"He came back early." Jason responded with a sly smile, and both boys groaned.

"This is all your fault." Liam began. "I told you you should just ignore Dave. I told you! Why do you always have to drag me into your stupid fights?"

Timmy folded his arms before him. "I could have taken him on my own. I didn't tell you to step in."

"Yeah, if I didn't step in you'd be road kill."

"You're both practically road kill anyway. If you're gonna start a fight and get kicked out of school, at least win." Jason put in his two cents.

Liam sighed. "All I wanted to do was finish my summer project, but nooooo—"

Jason tuned out their bickering, choosing instead, to focus his attention on the road. He had a busy day at the shop today, and adding this on top of everything wasn't helping things. Any minute now, Charlotte was going to call in a panic as she usually did when he wasn't around, and he wasn't looking forward to it. It was his fault for hiring unqualified employees any way. His bleeding heart was going to get him into serious trouble one of these days.

He should stop scraping up every stray off the street and hire people who could actually do the job. He sighed. The only reason Michael hadn't come to pick up the boys was because he'd been in an important meeting, but when he'd called to relay the news from the school, he'd sounded pissed.

Timmy didn't know the magnitude of the punishment that was waiting for him and his friend.

"What are you doing?" Liam asked a moment later, causing Jason to glance at them in the rearview mirror.

"I'm trying to produce tears."

"Why?"

"Because dad never gets mad when I cry. It's his weakness." He said with certainty. Jason snorted from the front seat.

"But you never cry." Liam countered with a frown, and Timmy sighed.

"I know." He said, and when he glanced out the window and realized just how close to the Bureau they were, he grabbed Liam's arm. "Quick, tell me something extremely sad."

"Ah..." Liam turned his eyes to the ceiling as he thought about it, then clapped his hands together once and grinned when it came to him. "Easy, I'm dead."