May 15, 2013

"What's up nigga?" I smiled, dapping Don's hand.

He was carrying a basketball and a gym bag. Don went to this big ass university and this was his first summer home. Spooky was serving a two year bid for gun charges, Carlo was still around the block, and I ended up under Melvin's wing. Don was the only one of us who was doing something with his life. I didn't even finish high school before getting pulled into the streets. My mama tripped about it for a while but eventually got over it. She would kick me out occasionally and I would either go over to Carlo's or Melvin's.

"Shit, glad to be back in the city."

"Ain't shit poppin' around here, college boi'."

"That's because you been here! I'm enjoying the shit, no tests, practice, or dieting."

"They got you a diet?"

"Hell yea, shit is strict!"

"Damn, I feel you. But you know you gotta see me on the court."

"I'm trying to save you the embarrassment, nigga."

"You crazy bruh, you used to playing that professional shit, I'm talking street ball."

"Same shit."

"Whatever, nigga. I'ma fuck with you later, though. I got shit to do."

"Aight, bruh."

Giani was four years older than me and lived with her mother and grandmother. She worked at the corner store and lived in the middle of the opposite hood from me. Every Wednesday afternoon, I would come over to her place, while everyone was gone. I didn't mind visiting any other days, but whenever I did, I would have to deal with her grandmother, who had a strong dislike towards me.

"I'm just saying Joaquín, maybe you should go and get your GED."

"Why you keep bringing the shit up, Giani? You ain't even got your shit! Where your diploma? Where the fuck your degrees?"

I was becoming frustrated with her constant pressuring, even if she was trying to help.

"I'm just trying to look out for you!"

"You ain't gotta do that shit, I'm good! Stop telling me the same shit, girl."

"Fuck you, Joaq! You can't sell that shit forever!"

"Whatever, man." I brushed her off, heading towards the door.

"I'm moving, Joaquín!"

I turned towards her, completely confused. "Moving?"

I didn't care if her annoying ass moved to the North Pole, but I was curious to know why.

"Yea, I'm moving to California... to become a model."

A laugh escaped my lips before she gave me the meanest scowl. "Ain't no modeling agency gone take your ghetto ass."

"Don't fucking shoot my dreams down, just because you don't plan on doing shit with your life!"

"How you plan on getting up there?" I asked crossing my arms and leaning against the wall.

"I've been saving. As soon as I get my GED, I'm out of here."

"A model, huh?"

"Yea, you always said I was pretty for a dark-skinned girl."

"I said you were pretty. I ain't say you were pretty for a dark-skinned girl. You sound stupid as fuck, Giani."

"Same thing, Joaq."

"See, that's why them people ain't gone want you. You don't think about the dumb shit you say."