Chapter 1: Emerging Shadows

It was a dismal day. The sun appeared like a silver oyster, glistening behind the darkening clouds that loomed over the town of Hollow Creek. Within Hollow Creek High, time seemed to be slipping away as every student within the dull classroom began frantically shuffling through the pages that rested upon their narrow wooden desks. A teenage boy hopelessly gazed up at a massive clock that rested above the heavy metal door. Tick, tick, tick, the clock spoke, mockingly.

Upon noticing the distracted student, the teacher glared at him disapprovingly, provoking the boy to immediately turn to the dreaded paper that lay before him. The student scribbled through the remaining questions while nervously peering up at the filthy chalkboard that had the words 'Quiet Testing' written in bold white chalk. After several minutes, he placed down the golden pencil then cautiously rose from his seat, internally pleading for the desk not to release a great squeal of annoyance.

Between the jumbled desks that faced the front of the classroom and the enormous windows that filled much of the east wall, there was a small, winding aisle that was clustered with backpacks and loose papers. With his test paper in hand, the teenage boy mindfully stepped over each individual obstacle before finally approaching the polished, well-organized desk that belonged to the dreaded Mr. Sullivan. The entire student body commonly referred to him as the most disliked teacher at Hollow Creek High.

A striking silence filled the room while the student stood in front of Mr. Sullivan with unease, causing his hands to radiate and tingle with an uncomfortable warmth. It wasn't difficult to imagine the notable anxiety plastered upon every student's face; Mr. Sullivan was the most vitriolic individual in town, which no doubt commanded the respectful silence of a classroom filled with jittery, obnoxiously loud teenagers.

The boy casually placed his paper into the test basket while fighting the temptation of peering at the answers of the other students then began heading back to his seat. After wearily stepping over several bulky backpacks, a large red shoe emerged from underneath the desk directly beside him and forcefully kicked the student's left leg. The boy clumsily stumbled sideways and frantically reached for something—anything to catch his fall.

While collapsing against the side of the massive window, the boy gave a startled gasp, followed by a meaningful grunt and an extremely annoyed stare at the mean-looking student that purposefully tripped him.

Almost immediately after the mischievous prank, some of the students burst into cheers of laughter, causing the flustered student to unnervingly glance around the classroom while gripping the side of the chilled window. While turning towards the culprit, "Really, Blaze? You've been doing this childish nonsense since primary school," Stated the boy in an upset tone.

"Sorry, loser. Ha, but I have no idea what you're talking about." Replied Blaze in a snarky, spiteful manner as he pressed his hands together and threw them behind his head, appearing immensely over satisfied with his rude actions.

"Silence!" Shouted the teacher with noticeable irritation as he rose from his chair while pressing his stiffened fingertips upon the wooden table.

Once the teacher's shout echoed into the hazy, bleak classroom, the students sat restlessly in their chairs, disturbed and unsettled by the teacher's sudden outburst. It was a Friday afternoon, one that caused every person that was confined within that sickening, warm building to impatiently wait for the final bell to ring.

Mr. Sullivan appeared immensely intimidating as he spoke, "Is there a problem here?" The teacher calmly asked with extreme civility as he folded his hands neatly in front of him, reinforcing that his superior position hadn't been suspended.

"No, Sir." Replied Blaze with an unforgiving, menacing expression as he leaned over the squeaky desk, causing the boy to release a small sigh of resentment.