Chapter 2: Consequences of Boredom

Reluctant to stand, the student rested beside the noisy desk, utterly bemused by what he'd discovered while peering outside the second-floor window. While frantically blinking at the colorless ground, still unable to dismiss the questions that gnawed at his innocent mind, Michael hardly suspected the enigmatic figure of Mr. Sullivan creeping towards him with purposeful intent.

———

Hollow Creek was regarded as a seemingly bland and depressing town, possessing a generally small population that only cared to bicker and gossip amongst themselves as their main source of entertainment. But this beyond strange occurrence that was, without a doubt, incomprehensible to the ignorant human, instilled a sense of wondrous curiosity within the boy that became undeniably insatiable. To witness something as bizarre as a monstrous golem residing within Gloomywood Forest was too damn frightening that it must've been real: this much he knew.

———

Several moments later, the student hurriedly rose from the disgusting school floor, nearly colliding with Mr. Sullivan who was standing directly in front of him, possessing an expression of immense suspicion along with a single raised eyebrow.

Startled, "Oh! My apologies Mr. Sullivan." The student then composed himself before expectantly looking upon Mr. Sullivan's dour appearance; it was obvious the teacher was unimpressed by his inattentive state. "I would like to explain myself if—" Spoke the boy, in a distraught manner.

Mr. Sullivan silenced the student by raising his hand in front of him in a slightly offensive way, interrupting him immediately. The boy gazed expectantly and with wide eyes at the frigid, pale-skinned, dark-haired man that stood in front of him.

Even from a distance, Mr. Sullivan was viewed as a disquieting individual, but in person, he was much more forbidding. Besides his obvious case of insomnia, his gruff, unshaven complexion, and the stench of cat that drenched his clothes, he was a rather handsome guy.

Mr. Sullivan spoke in a firm tone, "No need. I don't mean to pry, Michael, but you seem undoubtedly distracted when it comes to focusing on your academic work, specifically in my class." He frankly riposted while calmly placing his arms behind his back, averting Michael's full attention towards his commanding, mildly threatening posture which only further demonstrated his superiority.

Michael frigidly stood at attention, tightening his hands into fists to ease his increasing worry. After clearing his throat, which only further emphasized his lack of assertiveness, "Well—"

But before Michael could grasp at the words that he was gravely searching for, Mr. Sullivan stated with impatience, "Go on."

Michael responded softly, "Maybe it's uninteresting to me?" He expressed in a nervous tone as he attempted to ponder upon the best way to explain his supreme boredom in class to Mr. Sullivan. "I mean no disrespect, Sir."

Michael was decidedly distracted whenever it came to listening to Mr. Sullivan explain the ridiculously broad concept of world history. Whether it was through tortuous pop quizzes, unending lectures, or simply the excessive quiet testing periods, they all had one thing in common: Mr. Sullivan.

Mr. Sullivan replied matter of factly, "You're not in trouble, Michael."

Well, that's a definite lie, Michael thought.

"I'm simply stating the obvious; it appears that you find my lessons quite...boring, correct?" Concluded Mr. Sullivan with slight exasperation, as if reluctant to reveal the obvious truth.

After a momentary pause, "Y-yes, Sir." Conceded Michael before averting his eyes towards the floor.

Michael knew he had to face the consequences of boredom with Mr. Sullivan, and as a result, he remained paralyzed beneath his ghostly figure. There was a noticeable silence that filled the ominous, shadowy room.

Suddenly, Mr. Sullivan intriguingly inquired, "Would you be interested in taking some free advanced classes? I promise you they are far from boring. It just so happens that I'm offering private lessons for students who possess the potential in expanding their academic intellect. It would be most beneficial for you; stimulating to the mind and senses, I wager." Recommended Mr. Sullivan with assertive intention. "Also, since these are advantageous lessons, you are eligible for earning extra credit. It would greatly excuse your unacceptable tardiness, and distractedness, proving your willingness to invest your efforts in excelling beyond your classmates." Commented Mr. Sullivan, revealing an unbenounced regard.

Unsure of how to reply, "I-I'm intrigued, Mr. Sullivan, truly, but—" Responded Michael, dishonestly while attempting to glance at the ominous edge of Glooywood Forest.

Immediately speaking over Michael's reluctance and drawing his attention away, "Please manage to contain your excitement. This is simply an opportunity for improvement. I've already proposed the offer to your mother and have given her all of the information regarding the advanced classes. Also, she invited me over for dinner tomorrow night." Finished Mr. Sullivan, as a small smile spread across his pale face, which was just a bit suspicious.

Michael blinked, too dumbfounded to contemplate on anything other than Mr. Sullivan's genuinely happy smile. Although he didn't show his teeth, it was almost unnatural. It was obvious that Mr. Sullivan fancied Michael's mom, but it was still immensely odd the way his dreary personality and dull appearance seemed to vanish once the sides of his thin, cracked lips curled upwards.

Mr. Sullivan realized what his student was pondering upon, and as a result, sharply returned to his daunting posture and condescending expression of bitterness. Mr. Sullivan then casually stepped to the side, blocking the light of the window and Michael's view of Gloomywood, before extending his right arm towards his desk as a simple gesture for Michael to pass in front of him, beneath his enlarged shadow.

Michael attempted to give one last desirous look towards the thick, untamed forest before he was unwillingly escorted towards the classroom door. The teacher's hand firmly squeezed his student's shoulder as they stiffly walked towards the exit in complete silence. Michael began to reenvision the bizarre creature that he saw in the woods. Although he was quite distraught from the unexpected appearance of the golem and caught off guard by his history teacher's proposal, Michael's imagination inflamed with confusion and arising questions, questions that, he feared, would never be answered.

After noticing Michael drifting from reality, Mr. Sullivan spoke with arising concern while gazing over his shoulder towards Gloomywood Forest, "Do keep out of trouble, Michael; I believe your mother will be expecting you home early to discuss my proposition." In a resolute manner, with his chin held seemingly higher than usual, "Now, I do hope it won't be awkward between us now that we'll be seeing each other outside of school."

As Michael began leaving the lifeless space, "I'll see you soon, Michael," was the last thing Mr. Sullivan had said before vanishing into the darkening room, disappearing entirely from view.