Chapter Five: Wide Awake

Katy Payne

It was as if my eyes were glued shut. What was this? Hell? Heaven? No. I didn’t have any clue. I tried opening my eyes, I really did, but to no avail. Am I dead? Am I in a coma? These questions were rushing through my head, yet I had no answers. Where am I? Confusion was pulsing through my body, reminding me of an old memory.

“I’m so confused,” I say, my tongue sticking out of the corner of my mouth. “I mean, how does x equal twelve?”

“Look,” Louis said, taking my pencil from me. “You put twenty percent over one-hundred, then you put x over eighteen. Now do you see?”

I work the problem again, to no avail. “No, I don’t see.”

“Let’s work on another problem,” he says.

“Wait a second,” I stop him. “You suck at math. How can I trust your answers?”

“Because I was in grade nine once, too,” Louis states. “I’m not that dumb.”

I huff, shoving him playfully. “Okay, Smarty Pants.” I giggle.

“I am smart,” he jokes.

“You wish.” I grin.

“Oh, how I wish that it was me,” he sings. “Oh, how I wish that I was Louis.”

“You wish I wished I was wishing I was you,” I say.

“You lost me at ‘you wish’,” Louis chuckles.

And you had me at hello, Louis, but I couldn’t tell you that. I couldn’t tell anyone how big of a crush I had on you.

Light. I was seeing light. I try opening my eyes again. I try with all the power I held in my body. It’s getting brighter. I could see it! There it is. I’m here. Am I alive?

I look around me, seeing that I was in a hospital room. That’s not what confused me. What confused me was that there was a sleeping figure in one arm chair, while there was another in a different arm chair. Who were they?

“Hello?” I croak out, my voice very subtle and quiet.

Neither of the two figures budge. I grab a bear that was lying on the table next to me, throwing it at one of the figures. Bull’s eye.

“Huh?” he says confused.

I squint, not being able to see without my glasses. I figured that my contacts weren’t anywhere near, but I did find my glasses on the table. I picked them up, putting them on.

“Liam?!” I screech.

“Katy!” He comes running to me, grabbing me into a hug. “Oh my God,” he says. “I thought we lost you.”

“Liam, I’ve seen Harry naked. I’m pretty sure I could get through this,” I joke.

Liam laughs, turning and walking over to the other figure. Who was-

“Louis!” I squeal with excitement.

He comes rushing to my side, pulling me into a hug like Liam did seconds ago.

“It’s you. You’re alive. You’re… oh my God,” he exclaims.

I push Louis away. “Are you trying to kill me again?” I joke, though they didn’t find it funny.

“Why did you do it?” Liam asks, his voice rising.

I flinch at his tone. The only time he’s ever used it with me is when I spilt soda all over his PlayStation when we were kids. I think he still held a grudge for that one.