Chapter 3

Slowing down my speed, I made my descent behind a crowd of curious bystanders. I sighed silently, taking note of the lapses of the evacuation plan. Several "excuse me"'s were uttered as I navigate all the way to the back of the human barricade.

"A-ahhh! A-arggh!"

Those were the woes of someone who lost control of their powers. Someone who went blind because of someone or  their own twisted ideals. Someone who can no longer see the light in this world full of convenience and paradox.

I clenched my teeth as soon as the lights started to dim. My eyes darted to the flickering lamps and up to the buildings. I crouched with a foot pressing on top of the road barrier, ready to leap at any time. I stretched out my arms, prying the officers out of my sight. I heard them complain which was, most likely, shut down with a click of my tongue. I felt them wince as I shoot glares at them before dashing towards my target.

The sound of my footsteps echoed amidst the warnings I gained from the police. I flicked my wrist which then revealed a knife concealed beneath my sleeve. A spark flew towards a sobbing child and his mother.

"I'm not gonna let you." I muttered, using my other hand to cast a protective shield around the two. The spell was blocked which earned the ire of the culprit. I clicked my tongue again after I caught the shadow of his arm hurling towards me.

I ducked for as low as I can then threw the knife, aiming for its stomach. A second later, it screamed which meant that the object pierced its muscles quite deep. The culprit staggered while I straightened my back. It growled for seconds before releasing a terrifying howl accompanied by some sparks.

I squinted, sighed, then flicked my dark purple hair. "That's enough." I said, raising my chin and left arm.

"Freeze."

❖ ❖ ❖ ☪ ❖ ❖ ❖

It's probably 5 o'clock in the morning when the Shiba siblings made their way to a temple. Tatsuya had his intense sparring with his master, a monk specializing in taijutsu while Miyuki just stood at the side, watching them intently. After an hour, the young youth dropped to the ground, rigorously breathing before his sister offered to prepare for breakfast.

"By the way, young youth, I've noticed that you've exerted more force during the sparring." The monk mused, rubbing his chin with his fingers while the other hand took a cup of tea.

"What are you trying to say?" Tatsuya asked back, wiping his sweat with a face towel. After that, he eyed his sister who was setting up an area for a picnic along with the other monks.

His master hummed again before opening his mouth. "Kujou Marian." He mentioned a name he vowed not to say in front of his student's sister. He noticed Tatsuya's shoulders stiffened after that. His lips formed a frown while his eyes flashed his iris for once.

"My, my, it ain't like you, Tatsuya-kun." He began. "To be trapped in such obligations when you already know the answer." He added, tapping Tatsuya's shoulder.

"Wha—,"

"Ah~ it really is nice to be a youth~" He teased the younger one. "And, you should check the news."

❖ ❖ ❖ ☪ ❖ ❖ ❖

The heavenly aroma of hazelnut coffee wafted from kitchen all the way to my room. I sat up, rubbed my eyes lightly, then blinked for a couple of times. My vision was damned blurry until I tried so hard to squint my eyes, yelling for my eyes to focus. When it did, I glanced at my window only to find out it was still dawn.