twelve

The male groaned, the huge ass watermelon weighing down his backpack. His valentine's day plan was to stash it in Mark's locker and never acknowledge it again, wow, like that was actually gonna play out well.

"Do you have a bowling ball in your backpack or something?" Renjun walked up to the boy, examining the way Donghyuck's backpack sagged down.

"No, it's a watermelon." he simply replied, continuing to face forward, relief washing over him as he saw his locker nearing.

"A watermelon? Why do you need-" the other cut himself off mid sentence, realizing why the younger teen had brought it.

"How are you gonna give it to him?" Renjun asked after his realization, watching his friend place his backpack onto the floor to unlock his locker.

"I'm just gonna put it in his locker."

"Did you make a card?"

Donghyuck halted in his action of throwing his books into the small space, and looked at Renjun with wide eyes.

"Shit, I forgot about that." he grabbed one of his notebooks, flipping to a blank page.

"Seriously? That's the most basic valentine's day gift."

Finding a random pencil in his messy locker, the tanned boy quickly wrote a message and tore the sheet out.

"There." he folded the makeshift card.

"Wow, A for effort." the other male sarcastically applauded.

After Donghyuck finished unpacking his shit, the pair made their way to Mark's locker, picking Chenle and Jisung up on the way, who of course were holding hands.

"Where's Jeno and Jaemin?"  Jisung turned his head in all directions.

"Probably fucking in the bathroom." Donghyuck answered, handing the watermelon off to Chenle, who whined in response of having to carry the fifteen pound fruit in his tiny hands.

After multiple attempts, Donghyuck finally did the code right and opened his best friend's locker. He assisted Chenle in placing the watermelon inside and tossing the note in along with it.

Donghyuck bit his lip, his feet carrying him down the hallway towards the principal's office. He was confused why he had been called, but at least he was missing math.

Knuckles gently knocked on the wooden door, he waited until he heard a curt 'come in' from the inside. Mark was already sitting in one of the chairs, fiddling with his thumbs in his lap when he made eye contact with his best friend.

Donghyuck awkwardly cleared his throat and took a seat next to him.

"So, boys," the principal started, pushing up his glasses.

"There was a watermelon in Mark's locker this morning. It apparently rolled out, landed smack on the floor in the hallway." he continued, eyeing both of them.

Donghyuck felt his soul leave his body.

"Donghyuck, are you responsible for this?" he questioned.

The teen gulped, glancing towards Mark, noticing the watermelon stains on his jeans and t shirt.

"Yes." he admitted, head hanging low.

"Also this note?"

His eyes lifted again, breath hitching when he saw the piece of paper which read:

you're lucky i put up with your dumbass

The male heaved a sigh, eyes drawing away from his handwriting. "Yes." he answered again.

"Alright, I see." the principal nodded his head, placing the note back on the desk. "Was this supposed to be a joke or a real valentines gift?"

"A real one, sir."

The older man arched an eyebrow at the teen's reply.

"Okay. But Donghyuck, you will have detention after school."

The boys nodded and excused themselves from the principal's office.

"How the hell did it fall out of your locker?" Donghyuck asked.

"I just opened it and it went splat." Mark responded.

"You could of just ate it off the floor. Wow, thirteen precious dollars wasted." the younger hissed, shaking his head.

"Donghyuck, thank you though. I-I'll..."

The tanned boy turned to look at Mark, whose tongue seemed to be twisted because he was stuttering so much.

"I'll be your valentine." he managed to spit out.

Heat rushed into Donghyuck's face, heart fluttering at those words.

"Okay." he whispered, his lips curling into a huge grin. "I'll be yours too."

They parted ways to their separate classes, a warm feeling running through Donghyuck's veins.