paper thin walls

tw: slight implied nsfw (barely tho)
a/n: the title and imagine is inspired from this beautiful lil heart aching song called 'paper thin hotel' by Matt Maltese (originally written by Leonard Cohen). pls give it a listen!! recommend listening to it while reading this.

————

It was exactly a month since he kissed her. A month since he smelled the scent of her, a month since she told him she liked the way his lips felt on hers. A month since he'd spoken to her, his ears missed the sound of that quiet voice.

So why?

What brought him to her door? What was it about this person that prompted him to feel such a strong yearning and emotional and physical attachment towards her? Her personality was unbelievably mysterious, it took him a week to find out her name after they'd met. Every time he remembered to ask her she'd already walked away, out of his sight. When he asked the first time, she smiled and said, "Happy."

Her response was strange but only further motivated him to learn more of who she was. After discovering her real name, he enjoyed the way it felt on his tongue, taking every opportunity to say it when he saw her. He wondered what her favourite colour was, her deepest fear, what kept her awake at night and what got her out of bed.

It was late at night when he left the confines of his chambers to go to her room. He wanted to see her after so long, he wanted to feel her lips on his and run his hands through her hair. His hand was inching away from the doorknob to open it. Maybe he should've waited, wait until morning to confront her of his yearning for her. Wait to tell her how he should've said something after the kiss before she walked away with a small smile. His hand wrapped around the doorknob, preparing to turn it.

His eyes widened at the sound of a laugh, a male's laugh; accompanied by a quiet, light chuckle. His hand released the doorknob, his ears picking up the sound of kisses and shuffling of clothing material. He backed away from the door, contemplating if he was at the wrong door. But the laugh...he recognized. This was her door, and behind it was her sharing a moment of intimacy with another. He froze, this wasn't something he expected to happen. The walls of the kingdom felt paper thin, he felt if he put his ear against the door he would hear the sound of her heart beating. His conscience was telling him to turn around and leave, to speak to her during a better time when she wasn't wrapping her limbs around another.

He didn't move, in fact he quickly abandoned all thoughts of leaving
and held his stance, placing all of his focus on listening to the noises behind the door. Jealousy didn't soak his being, not even the slightest twinge of hurt. The sound of their kisses cleared his mind of all the bad things that plagued his head. He knelt down, putting his head on the door and closed his eyes. There was something unbelievably peaceful and calming of listening to this. He had no intention of leaving, he knew this would enter his dreams later in the near future when he slept, the sound of the soft moans and tender kisses he was hearing would replay in a deep fantasy of his. He would lose sleep over the sound of her.

He was in love.

He left moments later, when the noises came to an end. His footsteps were heavy with a guilt he would feel the morning after but his head was light with ease. His shoulders were lifted of all his burdens. The next morning she was at his door, her hair was unbrushed and slightly tangled and he knew why. Before he had the opportunity to greet her she entered the room and closed the door, her hand grabbing hold of his jaw, gently. He looked down into her eyes, watching them shut and inch close to his. Their lips connected and he embraced her with his arms around her. He moved his mouth to her neck and whispered softly, his lips touching her skin as he spoke.

"Happy."

————————————————————