FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
' YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY? '

With a clenched jaw, Ash slammed the door shut behind her. Fury burnt in her eyes - so furious and hot that the ground beneath her feet nearly combusted. She really wanted to march to Kamar-Taj and take one of the rings - they surely couldn't be that hard to steal or work.

Something landed in front of her, and she stopped in her tracks. Black magic formed in her palms at the sight of him. Strange shifted in a circle, his eyes trained on the sky.

"What?" Ash turned and found Mordo standing behind her, studying the space around her. "What are you doing?"

An explosion sent her flying, and she skidded across the road, rolling to a stop. She winced before forcing herself to her feet, black mist encircling her hands, and a look of utter rage poured from her gaze. Kaecilius stood between her and Strange and Mordo, who was still recovering from the explosion.

"I'm going to lose my fucking mind."

She didn't give him a chance to speak before she launched into action, launching balls of energy at him and redirecting his clear dagger. He blocked most of her attacks with his golden shields, but as she continued, her anger increased her power, beginning to burn through them.

One of his minions appeared behind her, but Ash used her magic to launch a car at them. Turning her attention back to Kaecilius, her palm suddenly shot out and wrenched his arms behind his back, and she propelled him into a building.

Her hand found her stomach, where Kaecilius' wound lay before it moved around to her side, where her side still healed from the gunshot. With laboured breathing, she gritted her teeth before clicking her neck and began to where Kaecilius lay.

Something shot through her, and she stopped in her tracks, the power ripping a gasp from her.

Strange lowered to the ground beside her, eyes trained on the man as he pushed himself to his feet. "The Mirror Dimension. You can't affect the real world in here. Who's laughing now, asshole?"

"I am," he answered.

"What did you do?" Ash hissed.

Kaecilius twisted his hand, and the world morphed under their feet. Ash stumbled, grabbing the roof of a car to steady herself before her eyes fell on Strange and Mordo and chased after them.

"They've got no sling ring. I mean, they can't escape, right?" Strange called.

"Their connection to the Dark Dimension makes them more powerful in the Mirror Dimension," Mordo replied. "They can't affect the real world, but they can still kill us."

Ash let out a groan of annoyance. "I had it under control!"

"This wasn't clever. This was suicide!" Mordo looked over their shoulders to see Kaecilius and two others running after them.

Strange moved his hands, a portal started to form, and they beelined for it. They nearly reached it, but Kaecilius moved his arms, changing the layout of the buildings. They slid down the tarmac, hitting face-first into a bus. Ash groaned, pushing herself off it and grabbing her side. Strange hovered beside her, and her magic developed around her feet, lifting her into the air. She followed after Strange.

They handed on a building, and Ash spun in a circle to take in the new orientation. Strange grabbed her arm and yanked her forward. She stumbled slightly before gaining her footing and sprinting after him. He created another portal, but the building rippled, and Ash leapt up, avoiding the shock which caused the portal to disintegrate.

'Fuck-' The building twisted, and they catapulted down towards the ground. Ash managed to grab an indent in a window, and she hung from the side of the building. Looking down as the wind whipped around her, she gasped at the sheer drop beneath her. She tightened her grip, eyes darting to find a way out.

One of her hands slipped, and she let out a short scream, fingers just about holding on to the window. She went to replace her hand when a particularly sharp gust of wind propelled her to the side, grip wrenching from the indent and sending her spiralling towards the ground.

Her mind saw the staircase before her consciousness, and she grabbed the pole. The sudden stop of her momentum caused her whole body to wrench downwards. It felt like her side tore, and she cried out in pain. Gritting her teeth, her other hand found the platform, and she slowly pulled herself upwards, fighting the scream of her body.

Ash rolled onto her back, and she lay with the stairs digging into her back for a moment to regain her breath. Strange ran up them to stop beside her, offering her a hand up. He hauled her up, and she had to brace herself against his shoulder as she looked down to her side. She couldn't immediately see blood which seemed like a good thing.

Straightening, she followed him to where Mordo recovered.

"This was a mistake," Strange conceded.

"You don't fucking say?"

Soon they were surrounded by Kaecilius' minions.

One charged for her, but Ash moved last minute, her magic pushing him off the platform. A sudden gasp escaped her, dizziness wrenching her brain, and she stumbled to grab a railing. The world spun under her feet, and her eyes flickered to Kaecilius standing before her. Golden magic circles ran up his arms. She felt similar ones run along her body. Fatigue caused her to fall to her knees, heaving breaths escaping her.

"What- what are you doing?" she managed out.

Kaecilius tilted his head. "Dormammu needs you, child."

The magic felt like warm licks of fire, slightly painful, but in her mind's state, they seemed more like they were lolling her asleep. They curled around her arms and restrained them behind her back, and the lack of support they gave caused her to collapse in a heap by his feet. A final gasp escaped her before she fell into the clutches of unconsciousness.