chapter 17

RYA POV

Ace got me a photo album where I could put my ultrasounds in. I couldn't wait until next week because it was going to be my birthday. I'm not sure if Ace knew, but he did a whole background check on me, so he's supposed to know. "Rya, I want you to meet someone," Ace said as he walked over to me and grabbed my hand.

"Who?" I asked with one eyebrow raised in confusion.

"My parents," Ace said, and my heart skipped a beat. I kind of hated that word, to be honest; my parents have treated me like crap ever since I learned how to walk. What if his parents didn't approve of me? Ace led me to the living room, where his parents sat down on the sofa. The closer we got to them, the more my heart raced and my palms became sweaty.

"Mom, dad. This is Rya." Ace introduced me, and they both looked up at me. Wow, Ace looked just like his dad; how old is that man anyway? He barely had any wrinkles, and his hair had a few gray stripes. He didn't look like he had aged at all, and he does look fine. Ace's mom was also beautiful; her hair was long and black, and her eyes were captivating, just like Ace's. She also didn't age much either.

"Oh, Hi. You're the woman that Ace told me so much about," his mom said, and I side-eyed him, he had a serious look on his face. "I'm Vera," she said as she approached me; instead of shaking my hand, she hugged me.

"Rya, pretty name." His dad then stood up and approached me as well. "Aleksandr," he said, then stretched his hands forth. I quickly wiped my sweaty hands away and then placed my small hand into his large one. He gave me a healthy shake; you could tell that he was a businessman, then pulled back.

"It's very nice to meet you too," I said with a smile, and they nodded.

"Let's have lunch and talk by the garden, yes. Excellent view," Ace said, then took my hand in his. We went outside to the garden and sat down on the patio. Ace was right; it was a beautiful sight. I've never came out here before, and it's so beautiful. I was missing out on all this view.

"So Rya, you're pregnant," Aleksandr said as the maid walked up to us and placed cups of tea in front of us.

"Dad, I told you everything that happened already; you know about it, so why ask questions?" Ace groaned, and his mom smiled, then patted him on the leg.

"Be quiet, I'm trying to make conversation with her so she feels comfortable around us," Aleksandr scolded Ace, and he pouted. I laughed a little, and Ace glanced at me and then smirked.

"Yes, I am pregnant with twins," I told them, and his mom got really excited.

"Twins, I can't wait!" Vera squealed, and his dad smiled.

"Okay, wonderful, so now that you have been here for awhile, you have to tell me the truth; don't lie," Aleksandr said, then paused. My hands started sweating again. "Now that you are about to get married to my son, do you like him?" His dad asked, and my heart started racing. How could he ask me such a question, especially in my situation? "I won't say love because you both met on a weird circumstance in which you had to adapt to" he added.

I think that's a bit unfair.

I started biting down on my lip, then glanced at Ace, who was also waiting for an answer. Now that I'm looking into it, Ace is really something to deal with, but apart from being a mafia and having anger issues, he was really sweet, and he always took good care of me and the babies. I saw different sides of Ace that no one else ever saw, and I'm pretty sure if his men saw him, they would think that he was weak. I've never gotten a full smile from Ace, just a half one, and I always wondered why he didn't smile a lot.

"I ask you this question because I don't want you guys to get into a relationship where there is no love. That's just toxic, and I can't have my grandkids in that type of relationship," Alexander said, and I nodded. Even so his parents could t change the fact that I still had to marry Ace.

"I do like him," I said, and all three sighed in relief. This was something that I wasn't really ready to say, but I know I'll eventually say it in the future, so why not now? Ace looked at me with a glint in his eyes, and his lips curled into a really small smile.

Well, that settles it; you are perfect for my son," Aleksandr said, then took a sip of his tea.

"I understand your situation, but in your life before this, what did you use to do, and what about your family? Aren't they worried?" Vera asked, and my body became stiff. Ace looked at me, then grabbed my hand under the table. Did he know something?

"I used to run a small business on hair, nails, and skin care. Also, my best friend does worry, but I make sure to tell her that everything is okay," I said with a small smile.

"Oh, so your best friend informs your parents?" Vera asked, and I shook my head.

"Um, they wouldn't care," I softly said while looking over at the flowers swaying back and forth in the cool breeze. Somehow, this beautiful scenery gave me a sense of peace.

B-," she was about to say when Ace stopped her.

"Мам, ты не понимаю? У нее нет никаких отношений с родителями; отпусти это; ты заставляешь ее грустить." Ace said, and I looked at him. I really need to learn this language.

[Mom, don't you get it? She doesn't have any relationship with her parents; let it go; you're making her sad.]

"I'm sorry to hear that," Vera said, then placed her hand on mine. I looked at her and gave her a small smile.

"It's okay," I said, and she smiled.

"Well, then let's change the topic to the wedding; let's get planning," Vera said with a smile, and I agreed, not that I could disagree.

We are going so fast that I'm starting to get anxious.

We sat there almost the whole day talking about the wedding plans and when we were going to get rings and a wedding dress. We also discussed the date, and they said that we'd get married in two months before the baby was born. I'll be 5 months pregnant. I wish we could've gotten married after the pregnancy. We also discuss possible baby names for the babies when they are born.

When Ace's parents left, we ate dinner then went upstairs to take a bath. I took a long one, considering how much I had to think about. "Rya, about what my parents asked, did you really mean it? Because I know I kidnapped you and you might not feel that way about me, you only said that so my mom and dad woul-" He said, but I cut him off by kissing him on the lips.

Oh, so we are bold now.

"I meant it," I told him, and he fucking smiled, not a small or half smile. He smiled, with teeth and spit. He had a beautiful smile too.

"Well, I like you very much too," he said, then touched my nose.

Does he really like you too? Or is he just saying this so that he won't leave you hanging?

"Now that that's done, we have something to do," he said, then grabbed my hand. He led me over to the bed and then made me sit down.

"Normally, when someone joins the organization, they have to perform an oath, but I won't let you do that because you are pregnant with my babies. So you'll have to promise me that you won't break the omertà," Ace said, and I looked at him in confusion.

Nah, girl, this is some ritual sh*t; he's going to take your soul.

"What's an omertà?" I asked him.

"It's within the Mafia culture. The omertà, also known as a code of silence, is a form of loyalty and solidarity in the face of authority, such as the government, outsiders, or the police. If you break it, you die," he said, and I gulped. "It's one of the authorities worst enemies, and it's how we get away with so much crime. No one speaks, no matter how much pain they go through. It builds trust within the organization; you have to follow the rules and never break them," Ace said, and he was serious. He looked me dead in the eyes, and I was scared.

"Okay, I promise I will never break the omertà," I told him, and he nodded and hugged me.

"Good girl," he said as he pulled back.

"What about the oath? What do guys do?" I asked out of curiosity.

"You're a curious little one, aren't you?" he asked as he caressed my cheek.

"Ok, so if a new member wants to join, they have to swear to 'live and die' by a gun or knife that is placed in front of them, then their trigger finger will be pricked with a pin and the blood will flow..." he was about to say when I stopped him.

"Okay, never mind; I think I'm going to be sick," I said, and he chuckled and then pulled me closer to his body.

"You're so soft; how will you help me rule this place? He asked, then kissed the top of my head. "Don't worry, you'll get used to all this, and it will come like nothing to you," he added.
________________