01

C H A P T E R 1

" Don't tell anyone anything

" Don't tell anyone anything. You understand? This is for our protection and safety. This place might be called home for a little while. " Stacy, Nadirah's mother told her.

Even though Nadirah was 17 years old & almost an adult, her mother made sure to tell her these things everytime she walked out of the door, or just even a reminder.

" Yes ma, you tell me this everyday. " she huffed rolling her eyes. Nadirah was tired of the same words everyday, but she knew that they kept her safe.

" Do you have your mace & pocket knife? " Stacy asked while peeking out the blinds.

" Yeah, I bought a new one. You liked? " Nadirah smiles flashing the glittery pocket knife. Her mother sighed and left out a chuckle.

" Oh god Dirah. " she waved off. " Just make sure to be cautious of your where abouts, this is a big city but I'm sure you've gotten used to it. "

" I should get going. Bye, I love you. " Nadirah went over and gave her mother a peck on the cheek along with a hug.

Stepping out into the cool New York weather, she zipped up her windbreaker, & landed her black timberlands on the concrete in front of her.

She admired the traffic, the wind, and the people bumping and passing her. This was her new home, or at least she hoped it to be.

" Ayo ma! " a boy from behind her yelled trying to catch her attention. She rolled her eyes and kept her head down, walking to the subway.

" Oh shit look who arrived today. " her bestfriend Micah mentioned while she entered the classroom.

" Really Micah? I miss three days and you think I'm not gonna come back. " she huffed.

" Damn. " he laughed. " What crawled up your ass today? You acting mad aggy. What's wrong little one. " he cooed while tickling her neck.

She laughed and swatted him away before sitting in her seat. " Nothing, you just always doing that. I promise imma start coming to school aight? "

" I'm not playing Dirah, my bestfriend is graduating with me, no ifs and or buts. We got our self a deal? " he asked while holding out his hand. Nadirah smacked her lips and took it with a smirk. " Now don't miss anymore days. " he squeezed it causing her to shriek.

" Dang! Alright, alright. " she lectured while mugging him. Nadirah had short temper, but she could control it around the people who she wanted. & that was Micah and Stacy.

" Alright, everyone take your seats. " her teacher yelled while trying to calm down the class.

Nadirah and Micah walked side by side as they headed out of the school. They did this everyday, and if one of them wasn't there, then they'd take the subway.

" You coming to my basketball game? " he asked nudging her with his hands in his varsity jacket pockets.

" I'll try. You know my ma doesn't like me out at night. Or anytime of the day to be exact. " she mumbled.

" Oh I understand. Damn. " he said walking while glaring at someone. Nadirah seemed to notice as she looked up.

" Yo, who's that? " she asked, nodding her head towards the direction.

" Nobody. " he answered quickly. Nadirah shrugged it off until she felt eyes on her.

" Aye lemme holla at you real quick. " she heard a deep voice ask. But it wasn't Micah's. Before she could react Micah did.

" Nah man, she good. " he said. The man mugged him.

" Yo, was I fucking talking to you? I was talking to the girl. Back the fuck up. " he told him while standing in Micah's grill.

" Come on Micah. " Nadirah said while grabbing his arm.

" Nah, I don't know who the fuck you take me for. You better watch your fucking self. " Micah scolded. That was when the three boys behind the man stood up.

" Yo Clarence you good? " one asked.

" Yeah hold up. " Clarence said while signaling his hand for them to back up. " Nigga you think you bad or some? " he asked Micah while pulling a gun out.

" I stand my ground. That's all what the fuck I'm doing. " he said.

Nadirah's heart was beating rapidly while standing and watching the scene in front of her eyes. But what really caused her to panic, was when she heard a gun shot.

A/N: What do you guys think? Who do you think was shot? Picture of Micah below!🌪