1) The recruitment

"No, no way. I'm not doing it," you exclaimed resolutely, spinning on your heels.

Heavy, yet somewhat gentle hand fell on your shoulder, turning you back. You bit your lip and looked up at your boss and closest friend in one person.

His eyebrow was raised. "Are disobeying your orders?"

You could hear his light teasing just like the serious note in his tone. And of course, Captain America's authoritative voice was unmistakable. You just gaped.

"It's a waste of time, St— Captain," you bit back wryly and he made a disapproving face.

"Don't pull that out, you know I-"

"Yes, Captain?"

His expression turned annoyed at the interruption and your snarky tone. You knew you were being cranky, but trying to convince Daredevil, freaking Daredevil, the patron not-exactly-saint of Hell's Kitchen, was not on your I'd-love-to-do-this list. More like the opposite. That guy was very obviously a lone wolf who loved playing on his own playground and you were not judgemental of that – he was dedicated to his home and that was fine. His way of saying no to joining the Avengers might be a bit rude, but given how many people – well, people – had been trying to convince him to step up to the plate and think on a larger scale than ten blocks, you couldn't really blame him.

Steve's hands caressed your shoulders and you bit your lip harder. His baby blue eyes were staring at the bottom of your soul, making you shiver. He had beautiful eyes, serious most of the time, getting incredibly charming when a spark of mischievousness appeared; and make no mistake, Captain America had a lot of mischief in himself despite the righteousness radiating from him to miles.

You blinked, trying to escape his gaze. It was annoying how it always sent your heart racing.

"Just give it a try. No one will be angry with you if you fail. I won't either. But I believe in you," he pronounced softly, making you swallow embarrassingly loudly when his thumbs caressed your shoulders.

Jeez, you were such a sucker for his 'I believe in you'.

Of course, you had a good reason. His speech had been the one that inspired you to join the team. To stop pitying yourself and woman up – yes, that was exactly the term he had used later, because his love for strong women was infinite –, to use your accidently gained powers to do some good. He had been the one to find you almost five months ago in the completely frozen lab – your work, not that you had intended it –, shaking, but not from cold. You had been scared to death – you had killed people. You had killed the people who had been trying to help you-- and he had come to you, slowly, putting his shield away despite your warnings and offered you a literal helping hand, promising he hadn't been there to harm you and he had believed you wouldn't have hurt him. That he had believed in you.

You fought tears at the memory – you always had. You had hurt him in the end – just a little frostbite really, nothing his super-soldier's body couldn't have handled – and yet, you had felt almost as sorry as for taking the other people's lives. But Steve Rogers hadn't been mad at you. He had stuck around, helped you to get a hold of your powers and you two had become colleagues slash friends. Very close friends, actually. Also, you had a bit of a crush on him, but who hadn't.

"Goddammit, Steve," you whined silently and his face lit up as he realized he had won. Not from his boss position, no; he had won the way he always had, as a friend of yours.

"I knew I could count on you, Frosty," he whispered, enclosing you in a short gentle hug.

You rolled your eyes. "You know, Rogers, for someone who napped for about seventy years in ice, you really are pushing your luck."