Night darkness

I woke up suddenly to a recurring noise. A scream. Followed by heavy breathing. Followed by feet pacing. The walls weren't as thick as you would think. This recurring pattern had lasted a week, coincidentally Tahlia had been here a week. Her first full day I took her to meet the buttercreams and then she went out for dinner with Olivia, and since then has been busy with Olivia. I wanted to ask about the noise but it seemed personal. I heard the soft otter of footsteps continue. I checked the time 3:38. I rolled off my bed. I had to at-least cheek everything was alright. I knocked on the door quietly, the footsteps stopped. The apartment was now silent. I waited a couple of minutes before knocking again. Still no noise or movement. Something was definitely wrong. I returned to my apartment I went into Conor's room and grabbed the key from Conor's draw. 

I opened the door to the flat. It was dark, I turned on the light and walked around the flat slowly. I checked Olivia's room, it was dark, she was in a deep sleep. I closed the door quietly. Something just didn't feel right. I checked the spare room which had no become Tahlia's room. Her bedding lay tiered and discarded on her bed, she was gone.  "Tahlia?" I asked. I continued to look through the apartment. I stopped out side of the bathroom.
"Tahlia" I asked knocking lightly. I tried to open the door but it was locked. "Tahlia, are you ok? It's Jack"
"Jack?" I quiet croaky voice replied.
"Yes, it's me Jack" I replied, "is everything ok"
"Yeah it's fine" an Australian accent replied. The door slowly opened to reveal Tahlia, her face pale  and drained of life.
"Are you ok?" I Asked concerned.
"Well I thought you were an intruder so yeah I'm banging" she said forcing a smile and a laugh.
"I didn't mean to scare you... sorry" I said walking through to the living room.
" I mean I know England is different but I still didn't expect to be broken in on." She said sitting on a sofa.
"Not my usual Friday night hobby." I laughed "I just, I thought I heard something. I did"
" I was making a glass of water" she said looking at her lap.
"Sorry for scaring you" I said standing up.
"I wasn't scared." She said folding her arms across her chest, across my hoody. "I could of taken you easy son."
"Oh yeah?" I asked raising an eyebrow. "Why were you hiding then."
"Element if surprise" she said.
"Oh yeah?" I asked.
"You bet yeah" she said squaring up to me.
"I don't fight little girls" I said stepping back.
"Why are you scared?" She teased jokingly.
"Oh yes terrified I will wake up screaming, sweating, crying in my bed. Shaking in case you get me" I joked, her face didn't laugh, her smile dropped, she looked away avoiding eye contact.
" I should get to bed" she said walking towards the apartment door.
"Yeah me too" I said following her, "did I say something?" I asked feeling guilty.
"Yeah you said: yeah me too" she said opening the door. "Night jack" she said as I stepped out the door.
"Night Tahlia" I said smiling. I stood waiting for the door to close, it didn't. "Night" I said again before turning and walking back to my flat. I rested my head on the door and sighed.