tempête

"We're the future, your future..." - Sex Pistols 

I woke with the bed cold next to me. The room smelled of rain and weed. The sound of rain and the water running in the bathroom filled my ears. I pulled myself out of the oddly comfortable (too comfortable for a motel) bed and made my way to the bathroom. The door was mostly closed, with only a small opened crack that I could peek in through. You stood in the shower, water pouring down over you, your fingers tangled in your hair, red dye escaping your grasp. Fragments of last night flashed in my head. Your hands in my hair, the smooth feeling of your skin against my lips. Fuck, why were you so perfect?

You cut the water and got out of the shower. "Are you just gonna stand there?" you asked, your eyes on me.

I looked you up and down, taking in every detail of your naked body. "I was observing," I smirked, and instead of remarking the obvious, I simply said. "I like the color."

Your hair was now an auburn color and it was enough to change your appearance without it looking forced.

"Yeah, it's gonna take some time to get used to." You said as you dried yourself off.

I walked over and helped you dry your hair, my hands brushing yours, your breath hot against my neck. I pressed a kiss against the back of your ear.

You jerked away.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

You were quiet for a moment, shifting awkwardly, and then, "Listen, I like you. I really do. But last night... I wasn't in the right headspace... And I don't want you to think anything of it... I'm just not ready for a relationship... After Dave and everything... I just... I don't know. I hope you understand."

I looked at you, confused. "Wait... Am I bad in bed? Is that why? Because you can tell me. Criticism is good, y'know, for future reference--"

"No no, not at all, I just don't -- I can't handle a relationship right now... Last night was great."

"But you don't like me..."

You were quiet again, and my heart sank into the pit of my stomach. I fucking knew it.

"Okay," I said. "You don't have to admit it, but I get it. I'll leave you alone."

And with that, I took my bags and made my way toward the door.

But you stopped me.

You grabbed your towel and wrapped it around yourself and ran after me. And you fucking stopped me.

Then, you tugged the collar of my shirt down and kissed me.

And like a fucking idiot, my heart swelled, I fell for you, and I kissed you back.