Chapter 1: The Beginning

Note: New content will be created once I get past what is already written. Ashley will only be getting the best Pokémon out there. This fic is following the anime, which means she'll get Pidgey, instead of Pidgeotto (plus the starters and Butterfree, but she'll have other Pokémon as well). She is also a lot smarter than anime! Ash.

A young girl of fourteen-years-old was currently in her room watching a document on the Kanto Pokémon starters which consisted of Bulbasaur, the Grass type; Charmander, the Fire type; and Squirtle, the Water type. She had straight black hair that had bangs to match her brown eyes.

She didn't know which Pokémon she wanted, just that all of them were a good choice. She didn't know her mother had gone to Professor Oak, so she was trying to decide which starter she wanted.

The door to her bedroom opened and her mum popped her head in. "Ashley, sweetie, you need to get ready for bed if you're going to get up early. I made sure to set my alarm to wake me in order to get you up since you have a habit of accidentally breaking yours in your sleep." Delia commented teasingly, making her daughter huff at her but nod.

"Alright, mum. I'll go to bed now since I want to get an earlier start than Gary." Ashley answered cheekily, making her mother giggle at her daughter's statement.

Ashley climbed into her bed and instantly fell asleep.

The next day, her mother woke her up at precisely seven o'clock in the morning. Getting dressed and wearing her favourite purple sneakers, she immediately went out the door with a "Be back soon, mum!" She started a light jog towards the lab. The teen smiled excitedly when she saw a couple of Pidgey flying up above with a content coo and giggled as she pushed herself faster. Ashley made it to the lab after a few minutes, before knocking on the door for a second. The girl only went inside after she heard a reply.

"Hey Professor Oak, it's Ashley Ketchum. I'm here for my starter Pokémon. Did I beat Gary here?" She asked when the old man came into the room and smiled at her.

"You certainly did beat my grandson this morning, which means you have the element of surprise if and when you two decide to have a Pokémon battle. Please follow me to the back room where you shall receive your starter Pokémon." He said to her.

Ashley followed him eagerly and glanced inside the room to find four Poké Balls instead of the usual three. She turned to Professor Oak in confusion. "Professor, why are there four Poké Balls instead of three?"

He gave a light chuckle at her inspection. "I'm glad you asked. You see, your mother made a special request for a different Pokémon as your starter, since she was worried about your protection out in the real world. You'll be seen as an adult as soon as you become a licensed Pokémon trainer. Why don't you see what Pokémon it is and use this Pokédex to scan it if you're curious?" He asked as he handed her a red Pokédex.

Ashley took the Pokédex in her left hand and used her right to throw the Pokémon out in the air. "Go, Pokémon!"

A light flashed and a small four-legged shape came out with a bark. "Growl!" It was a Growlithe, a Fire type that had reddish-orange fur with black stripes and a fluffy tail.

The girl pointed her Pokédex towards the pup. "Growlithe, the puppy Pokémon. Very protective of its territory, it will bark and bite to repel intruders from its space. This Growlithe is male and its moveset is Bite, Roar and Ember." Dexter explained.

Ashley smiled brightly at the Pokémon in awe and bent down to her knees. She held her hand out for him to sniff. "Hi Growlithe, my name is Ashley and I'm a brand new trainer. I was wondering if you'd like to become my friend and partner."