Chapter Eight

The reverend listened intently.

He had been surprised that she requested an audience, and even more so when she came in with a newborn child. He knew the man who accompanied her, not by name, but he had seen him with her a few times. He invited them to sit, taking a rather relaxed pose in his own chair. He wasn't there to judge, but to listen, and to offer guidance if needed.

"What ca I do for you, children?" The reverend suspected the answer lay in her arms. And it did, but in an entirely different way than he'd expected.

He never interrupted them as the couple took turn explaining the events that brought the child into their lives. In all those years, he never once faced a similar dilemma. He sighed deeply. They were seeking his advice, but the straight answer they were hoping for eluded him.

"You know I cannot disregard the law, but even I know that sometimes the law fails the ones it is meant to protect. To follow it blindly may not always be in everyone's best interest." He chose his words carefully. "Which is why I believe God gave us a conscience. You both know what you are facing. We all must assume the consequences of the decisions we make... or fail to make. In the end, only you can decide which consequences you can bear or not bear living with." He tried to impart his wisdom as wisely as he could. "You have to remember that no road is too narrow to prevent you from changing direction if the circumstances arise. And no matter which path you travel, God won't abandon you... like he didn't abandon that little girl." He approached them with his arms open. "May I?"

Sue gently handed him the infant.

"God bless you, Abigail." He blessed the infant with the sign of the cross on her forehead before returning her to her mother.

Jack extended his hand. "Thank you, reverend."

"You're welcome, son." He returned the handshake. "I hope to see you tonight."

"We'll be there, but I'm not sure how quiet she'll be. Jack, would you mind?" She gave him Abigail. "I need to use the washroom."

"I won't leave without you, sweetheart." Then Jack waited until she turned the corner to discuss a different matter with the reverend.

***

Taking advantage of being stopped at a red light, Jack looked at the woman seated behind her through the rear-view mirror. "Do clergymen ever give straight answer?"

"Nope." Her ability to read a mirror image never ceased to amaze him. "But we were not there for an answer, Jack."

A smile radiating from the inside enveloped her whole person. He had never seen her so much at peace. That was when he realised they did find what they sought.

"Should something happen to her, we would forever regret not keeping Abigail, wouldn't we?" It was more an observation than a question from his part, still Sue nodded with conviction. "We still haven't come up with a middle name, and we're meeting Myles in a few hours."

"I know. Any bright ideas, Jack?"

"You're in luck because I just found the perfect middle name for our little angel."

He flashed that irresistible smile of his, the one that melted her inside.

"Really? It's not a flower name, is it?"

"No flower." He waited until the next red light so he could turn around and hand spell it at the same time. "F-A-I-T-H."

She stared at him in awe.

"You like it?"

"Abigail Faith Hudson." She could only imagine how it sounded, but she loved how it rolled off her tongue. "It's lovely, Jack, and very fitting."