Chapter 1

Lightning flashed as the rain fell in sheets, drowning out almost everything. Except for the bellows of thunder every few seconds. Monstrous waves crashed against the shore as the sun rose.

     The storm pulled things from the depths, and with it, it had dragged a young woman. Her skin was pale, and she appeared dead already.

   As the sun rose further, the storm lessened. It was morning. It was over. Fenrir shook, fighting with himself to stay calm. It's over. It's all over, he reassured himself. 

     It's not over. It's going to get worse. Everything is going to get worse.

   He couldn't control it any longer, and a deep, almost growl escaped his throat. He dipped into the shadows and took off running in to the jungle. He was heading to the beach. He needed to get away from them.

     I can't hurt them. The cool sand under his toes calmed him down as he drew closer to the beach. I won't hurt them. Not here.

     The girl's pale form lay in the sunlight. She was slowly coming to. The sun was warming her freezing body as it rose higher in the sky. The sand stung in her open wounds. "Where... where am I?" Her voice was course, from the sea water's effect on her throat.

     She sat up, looking around, unable to see anything but blurs. Her knees shook as she rose to her feet. What... what is this place? She took a step forward, arms outstretched for balance. There was a blob, running towards her. What?

    She's hurt. He began running to her as she got closer to the waters edge. One of her legs gave out and she was falling. His arms were around her, and she stared at his face, finally able to see  something clearly. "Beautiful," she whispered, as she passed out.

   A group of people ran from the jungle, shouting his name. "Where are you Fen?" A woman yelled out, plants trailing her as she ran along the beach. He stayed silent, simply looking at her.

     She was bleeding in several places, sand covering her body, her wet clothes sticking to her flesh. Her white hair was curled by the salt water. He couldn't help but stare at the freckles covering her nose and cheeks, and her light, but steady breathing.

     Please let her be okay. He brushed her sandy hair from her face before picking her up, walking towards the group.

     The woman calling his name earlier had spooked him. She alerted the group and before long they were running towards him, smiles on their faces and glad to see him safe. Until they saw her.

    Everyone's faces changed instantly, what was once joy had morphed into fear. I scared them. They think I did this. He paused, his smile dropping.

    "Somebody get Echo!" The woman screamed out, plants suddenly popping up around her feet. Two men took off, running back through the jungle. Everyone surrounded Fen, checking over the girl's injuries while they prodded him along.

     Before long they were back. The steps of the hotel had never seemed so daunting to Fen as he carried the unconscious girl. One step at a time. Don't drop her.

     A woman was waiting through the doors with a cart. Fen set her down gently and began pushing it as the woman walked, checking over the mystery woman's pulse.

     "Echo," she ignored him, walking in to a room, holding the door open so he could get her inside.

     "Put her on the table." Fenrir did as told, setting her on the table. "Go get Gwen," she commanded without looking up. Once he was out of the room she began to work.

     She woke up screaming while Echo was sewing up her arm, but she hadn't moved, and passed out again shortly after. Echo worked quickly, cleaning away the sand, disinfecting the wounds, and patching them up. She was done by the time Fenrir had arrived with Gwen. 

     The dinner bell rang. Gwen stood up to leave, glancing at Fen as she walked out the door.

     "You can go too." He looked at Echo, "Dinner is important."

     She nodded, leaving. She stopped in the doorway. "Are you sure you'll be okay Fen?"

     "I'll be fine. Go."  She nodded, walking out and closing the door. He stared at her. At the stitches, and the bandages, and the bruises across her body.

—————

     She blinked, the harsh light of what she perceived to be the midday sun shining in her face. She was in a bed. As she woke up, the pain set in, and she let out a small curse.

     Where am I? She looked around, trying to find something to jog her memory. This place was entirely new. But the man sitting in the chair opposite her was not. He was the one she had seen that morning. He caught her.

     He must have brought me here. She tried to sit up, groaning in pain as she did. The noise woke him. He sat up, confused at first, and then worried. Had she hurt herself? She seemed fine, and none of her wounds had reopened.

     "H-hey," He stammered, standing up and walking closer to her. She looked at him, curiosity visible in her eyes.

     "Hey," she tested, "uh, I don't know who you are?" It sounded more like a question than she intended. I don't really know anything, the thought dashed through her head. "But thank you for saving me."

    He laughed lightly. "It's okay," he seemed so calm, she noted. "You don't know me. And I'm guessing you don't even know your name right now either."

    "Hey!" Her green eyes darkened as she glared at him, "that's not true!"

     He seemed happy about that. "You remember your name?" He had drug his char up, sitting still, but it was all to easy for her to imagine him bouncing up and down in his seat like a child.

     "Yeah, my name is-" she stopped, drawing a blank. "My name is..." her eyes widened, fear and confusion racing through them as tears welled in her eyes. He stepped closer, placing a hand on her arm.

     "Why can't I remember my own name?"