3: Quitting

[Rhett's Point Of View]

I walked straight to my locker that day, not in the mood to get in any more trouble than I was already in. I noticed the boy from yesterday shooting me a few tentative glances, but I didn't really care, to be honest. I also stayed inside the school because, number one, it was cold as hell outside, and number two was that I was actually trying to quit smoking. I knew just how hard it would be, but I wasn't afraid of a challenge.

I sat in the back in art, actually on time for once. That shocked everyone. I was left alone to sketch until the small boy came and set next to me. "Hey, um, it's Rhett, right?"

"Mhm." I didn't look up from my sketchbook.

"You know, it's common courtesy to look at the person you're speaking to." He was snarky. That shocked me, and I liked it. I looked up at the boy and got my first good look at him. He had sandy blonde hair, shiny light green eyes, and freckles covering his cheeks and nose. He was actually fairly cute.

"Fine, what do you want?"

"I wanted to actually talk to me, but if you're gonna be mean to me, I'll leave."

"No!" I blurted out quickly. "No, it's whatever, I'll stop being a bully."

"Okay." He smiled a little, and I can't lie when I say that I fell for that smile. "Well, I'm Wesley Addams. Or just Wes. I hadn't said that yet."

"Wes. Cool." He let out a tiny laugh at my response.

"It's cold in here, too, I swear." He mumbles. I took off my leather jacket and handed him the hoodie I had on under it. He smiled nervously before slipping it on. "Thanks. Are you sure you don't need this?"

"I'll live."

"Okay." Pink dusted over his freckled cheeks, and I smiled a little. I looked down at my sketchbook, flipped to a new page, and tried to keep him from seeing it. I wanted to sketch the beautiful boy beside me. "Oh, um, can I see your phone?" I nodded and handed it to him after unlocking it. When he handed it back, he had put his number into my phone. I smiled. I liked this kid.

"Meet up with me free period." I whispered, and I looked up to see him nod eagerly. He looked so cute in my hoodie, it was huge on him.

— — —

At free period, I sat inside for once, not even going to my locker. It's not like I had my pack in there anyway. I was trying. I sat up against a window, watching it start to rain. Wes came up beside me.

"Hey. Wanna hang out with me after school?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. I'll pick you up at 6:00." I smiled a little. "Text me your address, I'll park down the street and make you run." He laughed a bit.

"Okay. I'll have to come up with an excuse to tell my parents."

"Study date. That always works." Wes nodded and I smirked. "Well, we'll hand out now and then I'll see you after school."

"Okay."