01| Dumped

A/N September 2018 : This is a short story I wrote with the purpose of comforting people who recently went through a painful breakup. I was inspired by one of my best friends to write it. She went through a breakup and she was absolutely devastated. I won't pretend to know I understand how she feels because I've never experienced that kind of heartbreak before. All I can do is try to imagine what it's like and put myself in her shoes as I create this story. Even though she doesn't even have a Wattpad account, I wanted to write something that could comfort others who go through what she went through.

This is my first book on Wattpad so constructive criticism is very welcome. You can be as brutal as you want because it'll only help me improve my writing. And since English is not my first language it'd be really helpful if you could point out any grammar mistakes you find so I can fix them. Thank you for clicking on this book.💙

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked into the cafe, the sound of small talk filled the air along with the welcome scent of coffee.

I saw Cody at the back of the room sitting at our usual spot, his eyes impatiently wondering around until his gaze landed on me.

I knew that he didn't like to wait for long, but something seemed...off. Ignoring the bad feeling his unsettling look was giving me, I quickly walked over to the table.

Taking off my jacket and placing it next to me, I sat down in front of Cody, him staring at me blankly the whole time.

"Hey," I greeted him with a small smile, trying to catch my breath.

Since he didn't reply, I figured that he's probably mad at me for being late. "Sorry for making you wait, I missed the b-"

"I'm leaving," he cut me off.

I blinked in confusion before clearing my throat. "What do you mean?"

He averted his gaze, staring at nothing in particular as he started to speak quietly. "You know I've always wanted to live in New York...and now Chris managed to get a job for me there." He gave me a small smile as his dark brown eyes met mine. "I'm finally getting out of here, Paige."

Ignoring the disappointment I felt as he called me by my actual name, I forced a smile and looked down to my lap.

A million thoughts were going through my head. I knew that leaving my town to go live with him wasn't an option. So how are we going to see each other?

"Say something," Cody said, after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence.

"I-uh...I don't know what to say. This is...great, I guess." I murmured.

He lifted his brows knowing I have more to say, and I sighed deeply before looking into his eyes. "Well...You know I can't come with you, but it's only a few hours flight so I can easily visit anytime-"

"Paige," he cut me off, frustration clear in his features. "I'm not asking you to come with me and I don't want you to visit me there either."

To say that I was shocked is an understatement. I felt like my heart dropped, and I just stared at him frozen at my spot.

"What?" I chocked out, and
what seemed like guilt passed through his eyes for a brief moment before he lowered his gaze. "Look, you know I care about you a lot, and I didn't want this to happen either...but I think it's time for us to take a break."