05| Memories

"Would you please put your phone down?" Zoe asked me again, impatiently tapping her fingers on the table.

"I need to do this before I change my mind," I murmured, deleting the pictures one by one.

All I've been doing since the second we got here was scrolling through my gallery which was filled with our pictures.

If it took me this long to get rid of everything that reminds me of him, who knows how much longer it'll take to get him out of my mind too.

"I get it but why don't you do it later? This is a new place, let's just enjoy it," she whined, looking around the fancy burger place.

My fingers paused as I looked at the most recent one, it was taken last month on Christmas. Cody was trying to kiss me in front of his parents, while I was covering my face in embarrassment.

Although I was well aware that I was only torturing myself, I couldn't bring myself to destroy the picture. There are some memories we just can't rub away, they remain with us forever.

It's incredibly painful to forget someone you loved so much, who you imagined your future with. Being scared that you will never meet someone like them and fearing that something so great won't happen twice. So you hold on because you want them to stay in your heart if not in your life, hoping that you'll eventually gather enough courage to try to move on.

"Mark it all at once." Zoe's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"No, I...want to see each one for the last time," I muttered, moving on to the next picture.

"Oh come on, that's not-" She stopped mid sentence and I looked up to see her eyes fixed behind me.

"Don't turn around," she said quietly, her eyes narrowed to slits as she peered over my shoulder.

"What? Why?" I questioned, frowning in confusion.

"Some guy keeps staring at you," she whispered, cocking her head to the side to get a better view of whoever she was looking at.

"How do you know he's staring at me? You're right in front him too," I whispered back.

"He's sitting at the window with some other guys... he's still staring at you!" she exclaimed, completely ignoring my question.

"Are you sure?" I asked, putting my phone down. But I knew how much she liked to exaggerate some things.

"Yeah, right over there... brown hair... kinda tall... good looking... hot..." She stopped mumbling as her lips curled upwards.

"Okay, I'm turning around now..."

"Wait! Paige, he's coming over!" she shrieked, quickly looking down to the table.

Just as a pair of shoes stopped next to my chair, I looked up and saw his familiar face.

"Adam?" I questioned in surprise.

"Uh-hey Paige, I saw you from back there and came over to say hi," he said, giving me a small smile.

"Hi, uh...this is my best friend Zoe," I said, awkwardly pointing to her.

He held out his hand and she shook it with a polite smile. But just as their hands parted, she turned to me with a devious glint in her eyes.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom... you can take my seat if you want," she said, ignoring my pleading look and getting up from her chair. "I'll be right back," she winked at me and quickly walked to the bathroom. I followed her with my eyes and glared at the closed door as Adam silently sat down in front of me.

As I turned to face him, he gestured something to his friends before looking back at me. It seemed like he was telling them to leave without him, so I felt responsible for making him cancel his plans.

"Uh...so...how are things...you know, between you and..." I started, suddenly nervous to start a conversation.

Adam took a deep breath and looked at me with a sad smile. "It's over, you were right. I didn't want to face the truth so I wanted someone to blame...but after I talked to you...things just got clear in my head somehow and I asked her directly. She said it was only one time and that she regrets it...anyway, I get it now, she just doesn't feel anything for me anymore...even though she tried to deny it."

"I...I'm sorry to hear that, um... but if you're not sure about your decision, you can always talk to her and... sort things out."

As my eyes found their way back to his face, I saw the certain look in his eyes. "No, I'm sure. What you said to me that day... it really helped me, Paige. Even if she wants to get back together with me, wanting to be with someone isn't enough, but willing to do everything to keep that person with you... that's what counts."

"Yeah," I said, nodding in understanding.

Just as he opened his mouth to say something else, Zoe suddenly appeared in front of the table. "Hey, you're still here," she said to Adam, looking genuinely surprised.

"Yes he is Zoe, why don't you sit down?" I gritted out, warning her through my eyes.

"Brook just called me, she wants to meet at the gym. I have to go," she said, grabbing her bag from the table.

No you don't, I quickly mouthed to her, but she pretended like she didn't see it.

"Bye Paige, nice to meet you Adam..." she said, smiling sweetly at us.

"You too, Zoe," he said returning the smile.

"Bye," I gritted out, furiously scowling at her until she got out of my sight.

She knows I'm not good at making small talk...so why would she leave me in this situation? What am I supposed to do now? Keep reminding him of his ex girlfriend?

"I like her. She reminded me of my niece Claire." Adam's deep voice brought me back to reality.

"Really?" I asked, looking back at him.

"Yeah, she even looks like her too," he said with a smile. "Maybe we'll introduce them someday, they'd make great friends."

I smiled back at him as my heart warmed with how he's making plans about the future, and I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear out of habit. "Maybe. Zoe has a twin though and they're inseparable."

"Really? Are they identical?" he asked me with a smile, and I noticed how his eyes lit up and his cheeks dimpled.

Damn that's a gorgeous smile.

"Yeah they look exactly the same, I learned to tell them apart after a few weeks of being friends with them. But even their close relatives get confused sometimes."

"Do you have a sister?" he asked, his warm eyes boring into mine.

"No, I have an older brother. How about you?"

"I have a little brother, he's a highschool freshman,"

"And you?" I asked, suddenly wanting to know more about him.

"I'm studying law, it's my second year."

"Wow, so you don't live here?" The clear disappointment in my voice surprised me.

"Yeah, I'm here for the break. But this is where I grew up, and I want to start my life here after I graduate."

"Oh...that's surprising," I said raising my eyebrows.

"Why? I mean I love this town, it's the only home I've ever known," he said with a genuine look, and I found myself comparing him with Cody.

"I love this town, too," I said, my lips involuntarily curling into a true smile.