The Forging of Man

As the great Anuden were sitting, a single branch fell to the ground in front of the great tree, Ashrtor, and the gods looked to see what could have caused it. Soon they realised that there was not a single other being in the world capable of doing this and, for the first time, noticed the loneliness and emptiness of their world; living in a land so vast with fewer than a dozen fellows to enjoy it.

It was Seorannerr who picked up the branch and snapped it in two, placing both pieces in a nearby pond. She called to the other gods and asked them to pass the branches to one another and finally back to her. Once this had been done, she cast the branches back into the pond. The water vanished and lying on the bed of the pond were two humans, one male and one female. The gods named them Annar and Annerr. Initially, the gods were very impressed with their work and invited the pair to join them beneath the leaves of Ashrtor. But it was Wyrdhild who first noted how their new creations could potentially overthrow the gods and take control of the world for themselves. At once Annar and Annerr were bound while the gods decided what to do with them; some suggested they be killed immediately and others wanted to treat them as they would treat each other, however no agreement could be made easily.

Aestor was the one to step forward and propose the path by which all men are bound. He decided that the pair should be allowed to live and be free to enjoy the world and their children would dominate the lands from now on. However, the mound on which Ashrtor stood would be forbidden for them so they and their descendants would not be allowed to return, and the gods would watch over them. Additionally, this is the point at which Wyrdhild was nominated to oversee the fate of humanity and create destinies for everyone. The other gods agreed unanimously and unbound Annar and Annerr.

When the gods put the settlement to the humans, Annar and Annerr were furious and would not give up their fate to be decided by the gods. The debate raged on and each side threatened the other with violence, until Giorld intervened and made his suggestion. He told the humans that their fates would be their one, and their children would receive a similar privilege, however, each generation afterwards would be bound by fate as the gods had proposed. Annar and Annerr found this to be fair and so came to a settlement with the gods and agreed to depart from Ashrtor on the seventh morning from that day.

At once the gods made preparations for the departure of Annar and Annerr and gave them plentiful supplies with which to sustain themselves. Until then, the gods imparted much knowledge onto the pair and all were merry during that time. In a similar way to the gods, Annar and Annerr gained power and wisdom from the fruit of the tree and were ready to make their way from the hill. On the seventh morning, the Anuden parted with the humans in kindness and friendship. Everyone present would have happily forsaken their oath had it not been for Giorld, who reminded them that the world was subject to fate from now on. Seorannerr was the last of the gods to part with the humans and she personally escorted them to the vast gates which stood as entrance to the Ashrtor. She had grown very fond of the pair during their brief time together and wished to accompany Annar and Annerr on their journey; alas she knew her path. Instead, Seorannerr bequeathed a token of love upon the bewildered humans; three great tomes to lead them in their lives. Each thick book was bound in the bark of the Ashrtor and would be sealed to anyone other than the two humans that received the gifts. With their new knowledge in hand, Annar and Annerr bid farewell to Seorannerr who sent them down to the world below.

The gods were isolated once again, but on this occasion, they had a role to play. Each went off to do their duties and each completed their task, their divine heritage imbuing them with natural talent. Seorannerr tempered her mother's waves and guided the world waters. Weslof sowed seeds across the land and all manner of trees sprung out of the unspoiled ground. Giorld set about to give lessons to Annar and Annerr and their children so that they may live peacefully in the world throughout the ages. Influnae hung a cloak around her to avoid recognition by her peers and picked out places of beauty to make bountiful and favourable for the humans to inhabit. Wyrdhild went away immediately and began to pull together the fate of the humans of the future but could not do so until they had been born; and so Wyrdhild turned her attention to the gods, who became ruled by the fate which they had imposed. With each destiny that Wyrdhild fixed her voice waned in her throat and once the destinies of the gods were done, barely a whisper could pass her lips. Quiet Wyrdhild had been robbed of her voice so that none of her peers could be warned of their fate, as she was the only one permitted to know. Luni waited in the East to collect the moon, while Soni rushed to give the sun to Westen before the moon went down.