t w o

2665 words

Luke woke up the next morning in an empty bed, Michael was no where to be seen. Luke climbed out of the warm embrace of the mattress and and tip toed over into the bathroom. The door was wide open and it was vacant. Taking now as his chance, Luke gathered an outfit from the closet in the room and ran hisself a piping hot shower.

After he washed hisself quickly, he pulled on the t-shirt and sweatpants that he had laid out for himself. Luke pulled his long curly hair into a tiny bun at the back of his head and headed into the main car.

About five other tributes were already awake and eating breakfast as Genna went around getting to know them a little better. Luke spotted his red headed best friend in the corner munching on a crispy piece of bacon and made his way over to Michael's table.

"Good morning," Luke grinned as he sat across from Michael and stole a piece of toast from his plate.

Michael shot him a playful glare before returning Luke's lazy smile. "Hey, sleepy head," he teased while poking Luke's shoulder causing Luke to chuckle.

"You were the one drooling all over the mattress last night, i don't want to hear it," Luke retorted sassily to which Michael rolled his eyes. "No but seriously, sorry about crashing in your bed. I had a bad dream," Luke's voice lowered at the last part not wanting anyone to think differently of him.

"It's okay, Luke, it's completely normal," Even though Michael's words were meant to reassure him, they made Luke feel like a small five year old. Everyone always treated Luke like a little kid.

Before Luke had any time to respond the spaces next to the two friends were filled by Niall and Josh who looked at Michael and Luke like lost puppies.

"Mind if we join ya? Not too many nice people in District Five," Niall's thick Irish accent was much harder to understand early in the morning, his voice being deep and raspy. Luke nodded at them, not sure what to say but Niall beamed at him, his pearly white teeth showing proudly.

"Thanks, mate, it means a lot," Josh patted Luke on the back with a grateful smile.

"so, what do you guys plan on doing for the ranking?" Michael asked the two lads next to them in an attempt to spark up conversation. Niall and Josh looked at each other with goofy grins plastered on their faces.

"martial arts," they said in unison causing Luke and Michael to look at them with wide eyes.

"we know it sounds crazy but we've been doing it for a while for fun and we really enjoy it. we're not half bad either," Josh explained hoping to convince the boys that it was a good idea. Luke and Michael nodded their heads seeming convinced enough before going back to their food. "What about you two?" Luke looked at Josh who was eyeing him curiously.

The question caught Luke by surprise. He had no idea what he could possibly do for the ranking ceremony. Luke had no special talents for this type of situation, he could sing and play instruments but that was his only strong suit. Luke had no muscle and no athleticism what so ever. Before he could answer the question though, Genna cleared her throat, silencing the entire room.

"Good morning everyone, we have just recently arrived at the capital!" She let out a small squeal and clapped her hands in excitement. "In a few minutes we will be led into the training grounds where we will stay for the next two weeks while you all prepare for the ranking," Her eyes looked over every tribute in the room, trying to see what she was working with.

The nervous knot returned to Luke's stomach and suddenly, he regretted eating breakfast. The ten tributes filed into a line and followed Genna to the building silently. As they walked through the front doors Luke gasped. Never in his 18 years of living had he seen something so gorgeous. The ceiling was crystal clear glass, adorning pearly white walls and white tiles beneath their feet. Luke was scared to move, he didn't want to mess anything up.