Chapter 1

Hermione POV

Hermione glanced up from her sketch and caught sight of the clock 5:45 it read. "Crap" she muttered and hurriedly collected her books and papers together before speeding out of the library. It was only 15 minutes until the quiddich try outs and Ron will kill her if she was late. After lunch she had rushed to the library to get in some last-minute studying before their potions test the next day but had eventually given up trying to find something that she didn't know and started drawing.

She did this a lot, not being late of course but disappearing to draw. She drew about everything; she drew her friends, her family, her school, nature, a stranger when they weren't looking whatever you could think of Hermione has probably drawn it.

Hermione was snapped out of her thoughts when she bumped into a hard chest instantly dropping her papers again "Oh merlin, I am so sorry I -"

"Watch where you're going bookworm" a deep voice rumbled from above her, she gazed up to find the one and only Draco Malfoy glaring at me. "If you can see anything through that bushy mane of hair that is"

"I can see that you're an arse - does that count" She quipped smiling patronisingly at the slytherin before whipping out her wand to summon the pages beneath her.

"Watch your mouth you filthy little mud blood" He sneered down at her. She looked him straight in the eyes "Oh Draco, Draco, Draco that phrase is getting old. Oh well, I won't let you waste any more of my time attempting to think of more pathetic insults like the spoiled brat you are, I have places to be." And with that she flipped her hair, turned on her heal and strutted down the corridor leaving a stunned Malfoy behind her.

Draco POV

The slytherin gaped at Hermione as she left, sashaying away down the corridor without looking back. 'How dare she speak to me like that!' He thought 'I am the heir to the most ancient and noble house of Malfoy and that book toothed, bushy haired Gryffindor had no right to talk to me like that.'

I turned the corner to the Slytherin common room to find a piece of parchment lying in the middle of the corridor. I picked up the parchment and stared in shock when I saw my intricately drawn face staring up at me. Whoever had drawn this had gotten every detail correct from his strong jawline to his sharp cheek bones.

He wished that he could draw like that but he just wasn't that good though, his parents had tried to tech him as a child telling him that every respectable pureblood had to excel in some form of art - whether it be drawing or writing poetry or dancing. They forced him for years before giving up once they saw his lack of skill or interest and his mother was currently letting him get away with just playing piano.

But ever since his father had been arrested she had been distant and secluded, often drinking her sorrows away and ignoring Draco entirely. He knew that she needed cheering up and to be pulled out of her state of depression and he had tried before but nothing seemed to grab her attention anymore.

he searched the page for the name of the artist so he could anonymously return the drawing but was astounded to see the loopy signature of the one and only Hermione Granger.

Cogs turned in his head and he thought of a plan to get his mother happy again, a plan that included secret meetings, blackmail and the Gryffindor golden girl herself.

Hermione POV

She was now sat in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room with Harry and Ron. The trio had been chatting about try outs since they ended and Hermione was growing bored of the quiddich talk. So the young witch politely excused herself before heading to her dormitory to finish her drawing of Malfoy from earlier.

She had started drawing him a week ago at breakfast and had almost finished but she couldn't quite get his eyes right. She had been trying for days but they never looked perfect. She did another check to compare today when she bumped into him earlier and though annoyance was clouding them she could still the emotions the was attempting to capture.

His silver orbs had a certain brokenness to them this year, so deep that when she first saw them, brought her to tears. His eyes looked like a shattered window, there was a certain emptiness them this year but far, far beneath that there was the eyes of a boy who had seen far to much for someone that young that she didn't understand why. What had he seen that was so soul destroying? What horrors has he been through? She contemplated while digging through her book bag to find the paper, when she came up empty she started searching more frantically before trying an accio but still found nothing.

Where could it have gone? it was by far one of her best pieces and she wanted to finish it more than anything, o she started retracing her steps. She had been to the library - but she checked that she had everything before she left. She had been at quiddich but her bag hadn't been opened while out there.

"Oh for Gods sake" she moaned when she realised that she hadn't picked it up when she dropped them after bumping into Draco earlier so there were only two options

Number 1 - it had gotten picked up by Filch when he cleaned the castle that night

OR

Number 2 - It had been picked up by Draco himself

She groaned in defeat before getting ready for bed setting her alarm for early the next morning and crawling between the scarlet sheets and drifting off to a restless slumber.