~ rei ~

~ zero ~

Prologue

A pale yellow manila folder was dropped onto Atsushi's large pile of paperwork, startling him as he read over a packet. Looking up, he saw Kunikida Doppo staring at him with his glasses gleaming in the light. "Atsushi-san... I need you to do something for me. Read that."

Reaching to the file, his hands gently pulled it open. Immediately he was met with a photo of a young girl.

"Huh...?" He picked up the photo in confusion.

It was a security camera screenshot. The girl had her hand out, seeming calm with no emotion on her face. She wore a black dress that was very ripped and tattered. She had long black hair that seemed to almost float at her waist. He would say she was almost adorable, if her hair floating and her emotionless face weren't so creepy.

"Who is this?" He asked, looking up at Kunikida in confusion. Was Kunikida trying to see if he knew her or was it something else?

"Her name is Mitsukawa Ren. Her sister, Mitsukawa Eriko is wanted for various charges from arson to murder. Although never caught on camera or witnessed, we believe that Ren is willingly assisting her sister to stay in hiding and maybe even helping to commit these crimes herself." Kunikida pointed at the word document which said essentially what he just said.

"Ah, but if she's wanted then why was the case handed to us? Can't the police take this?" Atsushi was so confused.

Kunikida cleared his throat. "She has an ability as well. We do not know what it does yet. Although we know that with just a touch, the target seems to go mentally insane."

Dazai, who had been at his desk trying to balance a pencil on his nose, chirped in. "Wow, sounds scary~"

"Dazai, you-" Kunikida sighed, using his pointer finger and thumb to pinch the bridge of his nose.

"Point is, Atsushi-san, if you see this girl you shouldn't engage her. Try to get her to come peacefully, through talking. If that doesn't work, get in contact with Dazai as soon as possible and stall as much as possible. Also, make sure to avoid all physical contact with her, at all costs. Got that?"

Atsushi, blinking, nodded.

Kunikida straightened, nodding his head to Atsushi. "Make sure you show Kyouka-san. I doubt she'd go out alone, but if she does..."

"Of course, Kunikida-san." He looked down at the picture one last time. Her facial expression caught his eye once again. That blank, emotionless look... How creepy.

With a sigh, Atsushi tucked the photo into the manila folder and moved the folder over, getting back to his work.

Meanwhile, from a nearby abandoned factory, a little girl sat on the floor, humming as she held a mobile phone in her hand. Her black hair covered her face as she was looking down at the bright screen. "... Nakajima Atsushi? Is that who you want me to get into contact with...?"

Although it seemed to be silent within the factory, it was like she was talking to someone.

"Alright, alright... Let's see... Let's see."

With a sigh, she pushed herself onto her feet, her midnight-colored dress floating at her knees. Her hand slipped the phone into an unseen pocket in her dress.

Holding her hands out in front of her, palms up, her hair began to float up as she softly whispered, "O' Spirits... tell me where I can find Nakajima Atsushi..."

She was quiet for a few moments, then a soft giggle came from her. "I see, I see... Yes, that'll work."

She looked up, and with a soft smile visible through the veil of black hair, whispered. "Time for a nice game of Hide and Seek."

Bam! Wow, new story!

Hello everyone! My name is Emilia Giselle, and welcome to a new book, called Ghost Girl! I'm gonna try to make this a fun, interesting book, with a good plot that doesn't follow the plotline for the manga or anime...

Ren's not really based off an author like the other characters in the series, by the way... I know she seems kind of creepy right now, but I swear she's good! This is just... well, you'll see.

What will happen next chapter? Well, let's just say that that Atsushi might have an emotionally intense game of hide-and-seek with Ren.

Anyway! Off I go, to write more! See ya!

— Emilia Giselle