Chapter 29: Ivy House

...the message was from Seb.

SEBASTIAN: 👋 Hey Newbie!  Congrats again on our spectacular win, just wanted to apologise for today, I was a bit up and down.  It's been an odd couple of days.  How're you?

Caitlin stared at her phone in disbelief.

A bit up and down?!?!  Understatement of the century.

Deciding to ignore his question she replied,

CAITLIN: I'm glad you said that, means I've not imagined the ridiculous mood swings 🤦‍♀️

SEBASTIAN: It's been an odd couple of days.  Sorry.

CAITLIN: Seb you've just won a Grand Prix.  At Monaco.

SEBASTIAN: There's so much else on my mind I've not really had the chance for it to sink in tbh.  Can we talk?  I need to get some things off my chest.

CAITLIN: ...we are talking

SEBASTIAN: I want to see you.

What?!

Caitlin pinched herself, half expecting to come out of a trance.

Had he actually just said that? 

She looked back down at her phone and saw 'Sebastian typing'

SEBASTIAN: I'm driving to the club.

SEBASTIAN: Pick you up outside in 20.

SEBASTIAN: Black SUV.

~*~

Precisely 21 minutes later a black car with dark tinted windows pulled up outside the club, alongside the kerb.

Caitlin stepped through the revolving doors a little timidly, not 100% sure what she was doing, or where or why she was going, but being subconsciously urged forwards.  She'd never fallen for someone this quickly before.  Aided by Charlotte's research she was constantly surrounded by hundreds of press clippings and photos of him, she looked at him every day.  Until this weekend it had seemed as if he'd never noticed her – and yet here she was running to him the moment he asked it.

The driver's window smoothly rolled down half way, revealing Seb sat at the wheel, with black rimmed Ray Ban's covering his eyes.

He beckoned her over with a small nod of his head, and leant across to unlock the passenger door from inside to let her in.

"Hey Newbie," said Seb with a slightly ashamed smile, as she climbed in and pulled the door shut behind her.  "Sorry to interrupt your night out – I havn't spoiled it have I?"

Caitlin thought back to Charlotte, who she was fairly certain would be violently sick before the night was over.  At least Jon would be around to hold back her hair.

She shook her head, "No, no it's fine."

Seb and smoothly pulled away from the kerb.

The car was filled with an uncomfortable, awkward silence.

This is weird.  It is so so werid.

Caitlin turned to look at him, his eyes were firmly fixed on the road – as if he was determined not to look at her.

Watching him drive was stimulating – Caitlin marvelled at the speed his eyes flicked towards his mirrors as he changed lanes, the effortless way he changed gear, and the way he casually rested one elbow up on the window ledge, steering with just two fingers.