Paying a Visit at The Crossroads

"Death walks into a bar...it sounds like the beginning of a bad joke." Mercer Gray grinned at Charlie. He knocked back his whisky and soda, a sparkle of mischief in his black eyes. "I never thought I'd see you in here."

Charlie smiled grimly and gestured to the crowded bar behind her. "Believe me. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to be."

Mercer laughed and clapped his hands. "The truth! Always refreshing. I usually hear nothing, but the lies people tell themselves." He patted the empty seat next to him in the booth. "Come on. Tell me what's wrong. It has to be bad if you're here talking to me."

Charlie grit her teeth. Yes, it was bad. The Crossroads was the last place she ever wanted to go to in times of trouble. You were more likely to dig yourself a deeper grave than crawl out of one. However, needs must when the devil drives. Speaking of devils, Mercer Gray was one of the worst. The Crossroads bar was Mercer's front to make deals for human souls. Normally, Charlie avoided getting involved with seraphs or demons.  

However, this time she had made an exception.

"Can we go somewhere more private?" Charlie folded her arms over her chest.

Mercer winked at her. "Why Charlie, I never knew that's how you felt about me."

She scowled and held up her cursed hand. The sygil had grown darker and more pronounced. Black tendrils extended from the sygil and was winding its way up her arm. "I'm here about this."

His teasing smile faded slowly and his expression turned cold. "Where did you get that?" His voice was harsh and grating. The semblance of humanity he'd thrown on slipped..the smooth talking bar owner was replaced with a ruthless demon.

"A necromancer left a little present for me. It seems like she has a little demonic helper." Charlie retorted tartly.

Mercer glared at the sygil as if it had personally insulted him. "A soon to be dead little demonic helper." Nodding his head at the "Employees Only" door at the back of the bar, Mercer rose and headed for the door. Charlie followed. The crowd unconsciously picking up on Mercer's tension, parted quickly. They passed an angry brunette dressed like a miniature Hell's Angel on the way.

"Hazard! I need you to stick around." Mercer commanded.

The woman with the unusual moniker flicked a hate filled expression at him. "I'm off duty for the night. Get Bane to stick around." She spat.

Mercer ground his teeth, then took a deep breath. "So you don't want to hunt a demon for me?"

Hazard's expression turned thoughtful. "Alive or dead?"

"Dealer's choice. My gift to you." Mercer didn't bother to see if she accepted. He kept walking. Charlie glanced over her shoulder as she passed and saw the woman's face twist into a sinister smile. Did no one hire humans anymore in the entertainment district? Charlie thought to herself. Hazard wasn't strictly human.

"Removing a mark like that is going to be expensive." Mercer spoke, holding the door open. "Are you willing to pay the price?"

Death raised her hand in his face. "Do I really have a choice?"