C H A P T E R 14

RESEMBLANCE

"How is she?" A young woman came in running asking Samuels

"How is she?" A young woman came in running asking Samuels. I stood and waited for the door to the emergency room to open while they talked.

The fallen woman was wearing a V-neck cotton shirt and shorts. Her red hair was loosely tied and splayed on the floor. Another splash of red-tinted the tiled room, blood—that was the scene that greeted me every time I close my eyes.

This isn't how I imagined things to go when I agreed to meet them. I pinched the bridge of my nose. My pants and suit were smeared with blood. I stripped my suit jacket off and folded it on my arm.

I forgot to mention that the woman woke as she lay on my lap. Her light blue eyes fluttered open and she gripped my hand. She gazed upon me but never said a word until her eyes closed again.

A rare combination.

The two of them sprung up the moment the door opened. It was Samuels who spoke first. "Can we see her now? Is it bad?"

"We checked her for signs of concussion or contusion and other than the lacerations caused by the broken glasses on her right hand, she's fine. But we have to keep her overnight, given her previous troubles, just a little precaution." The doctor excused himself and left us to follow the other nurses wheeling the conscious redhead to a private hospital room.

We stood to the side while they got her settled. Once gone, Samuels ran and got into the woman's face. "What the fuck were you doing?"

"You promised you'd stay on the bed, Sam. Had I known, I wouldn't have gone out!" The young woman added.

It's like two grown women were berating an unruly kid. The kid just happened to be the beautiful redhead.

They kept on going after the woman who just sat there with a goofy grin on her face.

Her head whipped up to me as I neared the bed. I could now again see the unusual eyes look to me.

Samuels asked, "Sammie?"

"Who's that?" Lifting her wounded hand, she pointed a finger at me.

Samuels and the other girl turned to me then back to the redhead. "You see her?"

"Of course she does." I stopped at the foot of the bed directly facing the redhead. "What kind of question was that?"

"The kind they ask when a blind woman suddenly says she could see." The redhead said.

Blind woman?

"You got your sight back?" Samuels asked.

"Not really." Her smile turned to a frown. "It's foggy but at least now there's light."

A blind woman designed the building?

"I'll go talk to the doctor," Samuels said. "Lizzie, don't leave her this time." She ordered the younger woman.