Monster's Mask

Outside the mask was perfectly calm.

 Placed so well that no one knew it was glued on.

 For years I learned to hide the dark and the pain. 

Eggshells.

 I walked on them everyday.

 I was careful as to not to kill myself, but I was dying anyways.

 It didn't seem to matter how many times I tried to fly, I could never grow wings like the angels possessed.

 People said that I was such a good girl and I could take on the world if I wanted.

 It wasn't something I desired to do.

Suddenly the fine cracks started to show. 

Nobody thought anything of it, because with age comes the tired, pathetic stories of our lives that drags on and on. 

Then pieces started falling off and they were surprised to see the emptiness filling up my soul.

 Yet, I still knew how to glue it back together in order to hide the pain.

 I pretended I cared about my future.

 I was so quiet that they couldn't believe all the screaming going on inside of my head.

 They didn't understand that I just wanted to be dead.

 Yet, I still remained.

One by one, my lights started going out and they all wondered what this was all about. 

Question after question was hurled my way.

 I tried, but I couldn't make them see.

 Then the mask fell off and my sleeves went up. 

They saw every emotion all lined up neatly on my arms. 

I didn't understand why they were so scared and so shocked, but then again, I never left my heart unlocked.

 With all my monsters, one no seemed to understand and I hated them for that.

 They kept saying that this monster wasn't me, but they didn't see the reflection I would see staring back at me before I doze off into a dreamless sleep.