The Men of Silence: Part 1

Harper was a cold man, even among the scum of the city, he was avoided at all costs. He killed for a living, and was very good at it. In fact, he was the best. He had taken down entire mafia networks, slaughtered dozens of corrupt officials who made the mistake of underestimating his employers, and even started a gang war, all before the sun rose.

He was still human, and he felt afraid of what horrors each night brought to him, and he felt compelled to make things right, whatever it took. But he'd never felt true fear before tonight, not really. Before he was just uneasy, and unsure if he'd thought of everything that could go wrong. Tonight he was tasked with something impossible, he was to kill the old man on Earl Road, the man that made monsters.

The city was as quiet as the corpse in the back of Harper's car as they neared their destination. The blood was still warm on his hands as he gripped the wheel, and they rumbled along the cracked road. His mind was clear and his senses were alert, as he looked around the the lonely street, his eyes straining to see where his headlights couldn't. Ahead of him, was his destination, the only house on the estate. a giant mansion, four floors with many more floors below.

He pulled up and a veiled lady approached.

"Mr Harper, you are too early."

Harper noted the innocence of her voice, and her calm tone and mannerisms.

"Early? I am not expected, I made no requests, and I silenced everyone who followed."

"Then you are most welcome." she smiled.

"I wish to see your master. Take me to him." Harper growled.

"Oh my, how rude you are! I imagine you will get along very well with Mr Blackburn."

Harper stopped the engine, but stayed where he was. he dared not show it, but he was more scarred than he'd ever been. He found that only his anger could extinguish his fear.

"Take me to him!"

"But you didn't say please!" the lady said, strutting back to the house, but signalled for him to follow.

He did as he was beckoned, but she turned to face him at the door.

"I can only imagine that you are here to purchase. But do you have payment?"

"Yes, in the back of my car."

She jumped up and down in apparent glee, clapping wildly.

"Oh wonderful! That fellow looked perfect! I was hoping we could take him off your hands! Anyway, inside please."

Harper hadn't prepared himself enough. He had expected a dimly lit, but well maintained grand hall, with decorations on every available space, a common setting for a house like this. But his fear increased when he entered only complete darkness and the smell of rotten wood. The insane lady shut the door behind them and took him by the hand.

He couldn't help but shudder at her cold but tight grip, as if she had no warmth in her at all, and spent her life underground. Their footsteps echoed around the room in such a way that he couldn't tell exactly how large it was. He had no idea how far they had walked, no idea where the front doors were, and he had no chance to escape. he was trapped.

He heard a door creak open, and felt hope as he saw a single slither of moonlight shining through a window. The light illuminated a single desk, behind which was a grand leather chair.

"Mr Harper for you sir." said the lady, and she left.

Something moved in the darkness, and Harper gasped in horror at the sight before him. The old man was so pale, he was almost invisible in the light. His ghostly face rolled back to look directly into the eyes of his visitor. He cleared his throat, before speaking, his voice barely a whisper.

"Mr Harper. Tell me, are you afraid?"