Part 6.

When he heard the doorbell ring, he thought it was just a neighbor or someone who knew his family coming to visit. And when he heard it was the police, his mind started to make any excuse it could to help ease the thought of their presence... and then his mind went into full denial when they said they were there for Andrew. He convinced himself that none of what he was seeing was real... but there was something about seeing Andrew in hand cuffs and being escorted to the back of the cop car that broke Garrett.

Garrett tried to follow Andrew, but the cops held him back. This was the point where Garrett started becoming ravenous. Andrew looked at him and told him everything would be okay, but that did nothing to calm Garrett down.

His father and his mother had to restrain him so that the cops would leave because they knew the situation would become worse if Garrett interfered with the arrest.

When he saw the squad car drive off, he felt his chest start to tighten and he knew his floodgates would be opened at any second. He ran to his room and locked the door behind him. He collapsed on the bed and burst into tears.

His mother knocked on the door and asked for him to open up. To which Garrett didn't answer or stand up. He just sobbed because that's all he could do in the moment.

It wasn't fair. None of this felt like it was meant to happen to him. Memphis had always been kind to him. Always. He can recount all of his happy memories from way back to elementary. Not once had he seen any signs of homophobia here.

Garrett sobbed until he heard his phone begin to buzz. He took it out of his pocket to see a number that he did not recognize, but he answered it in hopes that it was Andrew. And lucky for him, it was.

"Hello?" Garrett said as he sniffled, trying to calm himself down.

"Garrett?"

"Oh my God! Andrew!" Garrett cried in relief.

"Garrett, don't cry," Andrew said in a calm voice. "I'm alright. Everything's alright!"

"No it's not!" Garrett sobbed. "You're in jail! That's not alright!"

Andrew didn't answer.

"None of this makes sense. How did he know you?! How did he find where you were?! It-"

"Garrett!" Andrew interrupted. "He's a minister at the church a couple of blocks outside your neighborhood, the one we passed by on our way to get ice cream. Apparently he has big influence in this part of Memphis. He 'came to power' a couple of years ago. The girl at the register had to hand over my name from my credit card and they sent out a search signal to all hotels and-"

"Oh, that bitch! I knew you were too good for her!" Garrett cried.

Andrew laughed. And Garrett didn't know what it was, but hearing Andrew laugh helped calm the heavy fall of his chest that came from sobbing.

"What am I gonna do? How do I get you out of there?" Garrett asked, hoping Andrew had the answers.

"They're gonna keep me here overnight. Tomorrow, I have a bail hearing and your family will have to pay the price for me to be released. If you guys can't pay, I will stay in jail until my court hearing."

Andrew's stomach was tied in knots at the thought of being left in there... but he knew that the price for his release would be quite a heavy number and he didn't want them to pay anything, even if it did mean his freedom.

"But I don't think you guys should pay," he says hesitantly.

"What do you mean?!" Garrett says frantically. "I'm going to get you out of there as soon as I can!"