πέντε

Nico's first official day at Hogwarts was painful so far. He had to wake up early (he didn't sleep much but he knew when too early was too early), deal with Seamus and Harry giving each other the Silent Treatment, and was expected to drink pumpkin juice. He, being a sensible person (along with Hermione, he noticed, who was sitting with the other two on the far end of the bench), drank the orange juice.

So, Nico was groggy and easily irritated that morning. He also didn't eat anything this time to punish himself for not sacrificing his meal last night to the gods; a satisfied rumble of thunder crashed outside. One may ask how thunder would sound satisfied, and Nico would answer, but that one that has asked definitely has never experienced satisfied thunder, and is therefore definitely not a demigod.

"Oi, di Angelo," one of the Twins slid over to him. "Fred here."

"What do you want now?" Nico snapped, rubbing his sleep deprived eyes and staring angrily at his empty plate. He ducked as a flood of owls entered the Great Hall, cursing at the world and almost snatching one of the birds out of the air. "What kind of place is this?" He almost snapped out of his fake accent, but caught himself in time.

"Whoa, no need to murder the poor things!" Fred happily responded. "What's your schedule?"

Schedule? "I didn't get one?" He wanted to state that he didn't have it yet, but he was so tired he wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Ah, McGonagall's coming with yours right now it seems."

The strict old woman gave Nico a curious look while she gingerly handed him the paper. "I understand your...situation, Mister di Angelo," was all she said.

"Situation? What, are you on some scary quest to move schools?"

Oh, how spot on he was. "Somewhat like that, yes."

"Drink some of the pumpkin juice. It's all enchanted with a buncha caffeine on the first day; I made sure of it." Fred winked as he and George scooted over to Ron, who had just yelled his complaints about his schedule.

Nico returned his focus onto the paper. It was written entirely in Greek, to his surprise. So, Alecto had gotten to McGonagall already, hadn't she? Hopefully this wouldn't compromise his identity or his quest performance.

Nico read his schedule and then proceeded to glance up. He scanned the Gryffindor table (which was covered in feathers) in search of someone he could potentially befriend. He almost screeched when he saw Alecto disguised as a particularly ugly first-year peering at him with her beady eyes at the Slytherin table.

A blond-haired boy caught his eye, as he looked too much like Will. He just needed to have more yellow in his hair, mess it up a little, and he could pass off as a child of Athena or Apollo. He held Nico's gaze for a second before returning to his heated conversation with two bulls of fifteen-year-olds.

When the class bell finally rang, Nico made a beeline for the door. He stopped when he realized he didn't know where he was going, so he opted to just follow someone who he saw with History of Magic first period (it was Ron—all Nico could decode was "His— of —ic" and thought that would be enough). Alecto walked up to him and discreetly slipped a book bag into his hands, (barely) full of the necessary equipment to (barely) get him through the first semester. Man, she sure did care about him. So much. He heard her muttering about useless demigods and doing everything myself.

Nico did actually end up having a cup of pumpkin juice, by the way.

***
History of Magic did sound a bit interesting to Nico at first, he would admit. However after overhearing the stories from the other students he started concocting ideas for the possible excuses he could provide for skipping the class.