ONE

Lily DeMarco sat in the front of the beat up Honda as it drove down the lonely road. Angry rain, much like the rain that pounded against the police cruiser that fateful night, pounded against the roof as Hank, Lily's social worker, rambled on about how this home would be 'the one', and how this family was 'different'.

Lily rolled her eyes.

Different my ass.

Lily had been through this many times before. Forty times to be exact. This would be her forty first home today.

Lily had been everywhere.

Ohio(her homestate), California, Idaho, Wisconsin, New York, Maine, Montana, Louisianna, Texas, Oregon, and now, Forks, Washington. Oregon  and California were the states that most if her homes had been in, it's also where Hank became her social worker after everybody else became too tired of lugging around a misfit like her.

"Lily? You there?" Hank asked, snapping her from her thoughts. Lily nodded, only half paying attention as the truck started up a long, cement driveway lined with street lamps.

"Look, I know I've said this a million times before, but this home REALLY IS different. I promise." Hank insisted.

"You've said that before too." Lily mumbled just loud enough for Hank to hear. Hank sighed.

There was no use in talking to her when she was like this.

It took another three minutes before the outline of a house was seen. A very big, very fancy house.

It was gray stone, with white painted woodwork and a cherry red door. It had a huge bay window and beautiful flowers lining the edge of the cement front porch. Rocking chairs sat cheerily out front, along with a sign that said 'Home is Where Your Family Is', which made Lily want to barf from the cheesiness.

The car parked by the garage, and Hank unbuckled his seat belt as he looked over at Lily, who, being her, sat arms crossed with her sneaker clad feet on the dashboard.

Her dark brown waves were in a high ponytail, slightly exposing the small scars that were etched into her skin like a neon sign shouting 'Look at me! Look at me!' She was wearing a pair of denim capris, a gray long sleeved t-shirt that read 'Fluent in Sarcasm', and a silver chain with a little silver key on it around her neck.

The key matched a lock that her little sister, Anna, was given on a chain as well. They both got the necklaces from their grandfather. But, that was a long time ago...

"You coming lily pad?" Hank asked trying to lighten the teenager's mood. Lily rolled her eyes, suppressing a cringe at the childish nickname, and fixed Hank with a withering stare. She didn't understand why she was being taken to yet another home. They would just send her back.

They always do...

She'd begged the man to let her become an emancipated minor at her last home in California, but you had to be at least fourteen in that state, and her birthday wasn't for another two months.

"No. I am not going into another place where I can be tortured with the thought of finally finding a place to belong. I am NOT getting my hopes up again, so we might as well just leave." She exclaimed, and turned away to look at the patterns the rain was painting on her window.

Hank frowned.

"You know we can't leave Lily. I would take you in, but I don't have nearly enough money for that, or enough space. It's best this way. Okay?"

Lily scoffed. "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Hank pretended he didn't hear that part, and jumped from the car, sprinting like a fat guy with asthma towards the porch. Once he was safely under the awning, he waved his arms frantically to get Lily's attention, gesturing for her to hurry up.